Trying to avoid PODS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to avoid PODS

Happy New Year everybody!!! I have found an airbox in my parts for my 1982 GS1100E but it is only the large front box with the four holes. I have looked for the rear box that holds the actual filter with all the parts including the lid and have had no luck. So can I use a universal K&N large round filter and attach it to the inlet on the air box I have? Wouldn't it be about the same as running a K&N made for the bike with the lid off?? I know I will be jetting most likely. My other option is just run pods but I would rather not??20200101_072514.jpg

Pretty sure I have the back half if you're interested.
    Let me know and I'll take a look.

Edit- pretty certain mine came from an 83. Anyone know offhand if they are the same?
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
      Pretty sure I have the back half if you're interested.
      Let me know and I'll take a look.

Edit- pretty certain mine came from an 83. Anyone know offhand if they are the same?
      Pretty darn certain they are....But he might want to check the part numbers...
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Quick parts fiche check says they are the same part.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am at the Dillards new year sale with the girlfriend yippy!!! Yes I would love to pic up that if we can be sure it fits. When I get home I will just make sure. Thanks john

Comment

I found the front airbox is the same for a lot of gs bikes and just swap out the rubber boots for different size carb air horns. The one I have probably cam off my old gs750e.

Comment

On further review the crime on the side tells me a l model maybe.

Comment

As far as the oem parts diagram they are both identical. How do I go about buying this from you Dorkburger?? Thank you John

Comment

I'll post some pics later today for confirmation of the part.

The reason I'm not 100% sure of the part is that a few years ago I grabbed any remaining cycle parts from my dad's garage.
                  Back in the day my brother had an 83 1100e that he did pods and exhaust on - I later bought the bike and left it as it was, and the airbox in question got stashed in the attic....
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

I also have one if Dorkbugers doesn't match up... It even has a old K&N stuck in there. Haha
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have the same Airbox on my "T". I picked up a spare off my parts "T" plus another I believe...off a 1982/83. Probably have photos somewhere in one of my threads...

Ed

EDIT: Welcome to the site!

EDIT: Found them...here post #18: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...nk)&highlight=

Last edited by GSXR7ED; 01-01-2020, 03:57 PM.
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by renorealtors View Post
                        On further review the crime on the side tells me a l model maybe.
                        Mistaking an L for an E? Not easy to do. Why not take a quick picture, any of us can tell you which it is. Welcome aboard.
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Here are pics. For some reason I can only do one at a time? Another question, the drain at the bottom20200101_123446.jpg of the air box just sucks air in?? I would imagine it would have a check valve or it vents into some dust free part of the bike??

Comment

swapping boots

In this pic there is a smaller (50mm) and a larger (55mm) boot. The air box looks the same for both. I can mount the larger boots even the smaller ones were originally in the airbox. Is the airbox the same for like the smaller 750 and the larger 1100 carbs? The pic wont upload and the pop up says I can only do one pic per post is this right?
                            Attached Files

Comment

maybe this time will work?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X