1978 GS750E hesitates just off idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS750E hesitates just off idle

I think this issue has already been discussed but I can't find a definitive answer.
    My 750E, once warmed up runs fine to redline, but when I stop at lights or stop sign (idle is normal at ~1100rpm) and then open the throttle to take off, there is a slght hesitation before it picks up. This also happens when I change down to 1st (or 2nd) when going round a corner before opening the throttle again.
    The bike is stock, however where the breather pipe connects into the airbox, there's just a hole. Not a big one, just a bit larger than than the pipe/hose. In an earlier life, it seems the entry point was broken off.

I'm not going to play with anything until I get advice/suggestions from all you experienced gurus on this forum! If you need more info to help, let me know and I'll try my best!

Cheers
    Andy
    Cheers, Andy

Current bikes... 78 GS750E, 72 CB500K1
    Previously owned...
    01 VFR800Fi, 67 Honda Sports 90
    71 Yamaha 175 CT2, 73 Yamaha RD250 (great bike!), 79 Yamaha XT250T
    75 Kawasaki KX125 (little screamer!)
    BMW R65, BMW R80, BMW R100LT

Try covering the hole with tape and see if it makes a difference. These bikes are very finicky where air is involved. The amount and flow of air is VERY important. You may be getting too much air!
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Could be low float height and or mixture related, since it's runs well elsewhere on the throttle band I'd start there. As for the breather, get a filter on the end and plug up the hole to the airbox.
      -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

I agree it sounds like a fuel problem possibly lean condition due to the hole or dirty pilot jet causing it to be lean at low rpm? Here is my ridiculous notes from my 1978 build I sold last year. Doubt it will help but you never know.

Comment

Nice work there John, clean machine...
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

A few yrs. back, my buddy & I went to look at a "99" Bandit 1200, he was interested in buying, it was doing just what you're describing + while just riding at 40 or 50 mph & crank the throttle, it would sputter once then run fine. My Buddy declined to buy it. The following week I contacted the seller & we worked a deal & I bought it. Removed the carbs, & found a little point poking up in the throat of one of the carbs. I think it's called the idle adj. screw had been screwed in tight enough the point had broken off. Got the little point out, installed a new one, got it adjusted right & all is great no stumbles, coughs, no nothing at any throttle position. Now mine were CV carbs & yours are VM's, may be different, but maybe may help. Dang that's a clean looking bike you've got there. congrats.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
            X