Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vm22(gs500/550)1978 carb question(new question about jetting and 4-1 exhaust)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vm22(gs500/550)1978 carb question(new question about jetting and 4-1 exhaust)

Hi. Look at the picture, the 3 pipes(one got a black thin hose connected) is told to me that they are air breathers. As i bought the bike partially torned down , where does these go to? Where to connect them. Thanks!!

F0B6E711-18E4-410C-95B4-8559542D2E37.jpg
    Last edited by Kenny; 02-17-2020, 04:03 PM.

The hoses going to your carbs are:

Fuel line. Hopefully obvious, the fat hose that goes to the tee.
    Fuel tap vacuum hose. I think its on #3 but can't remember. However, its the odd one out of the remaining 3 and its on the intake side of the carb slide.
    The 'other 2' , a matching pair on the airbox side of the carb. These are the breather hoses and just hang over the top of the sides of the front (plastic bit) of the airbox.

Plus of course the 4 overflow hoses from the bottom of the float bowls.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post

Fuel tap vacuum hose. I think its on #3 but can't remember. However, its the odd one out of the remaining 3 and its on the intake side of the carb slide.
      The 'other 2' , a matching pair on the airbox side of the carb. These are the breather hoses and just hang over the top of the sides of the front (plastic bit) of the airbox.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!! 😀

Comment

New question: my exhaust is ok but could have been better, found a new kit that Marving sells: 4-1. As i understand i might have to put in another jets.
        here is the thing on a list on this page the gs550e 1978 have mainjet with the size 80. Now my bike is a gs500e and when i opened the carbs for cleaning my mainjets were 85.
        Now i asked someone and he claimed Suzuki used to restrict carbs with putting in a bigger jet but lowering the needle. Is this true??
        will it be enough for me to raise the needle only? Will only ride with 4-1 exhaust, no pods but standard airfilter and box.

Comment

With a Marving you'll be OK with standard jetting as long as you leave the airbox as standard.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

With a Marving you'll be OK with standard jetting as long as you leave the airbox as standard.
            Thank you. Really appreciate the help as i am a newbie to bikes and fixing them. I used to have my father to help me but he got Alzheimer now so not much he can do anymore. Again, thanx!

Comment

He is correct. The port with the black hose on it is the vacuum . Turn your carbs around and look in the intake side. See that hole?
              The other 2 ports are the air breathers for the float bowls, so fuel level can change inside the bowls. You should attach a hose to each one and run it up and over the airbox, and down into space behind, for still air
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

As per Big T above - "You should attach a hose to each one and run it up and over the airbox, and down into space behind, for still air"

You'll see two brackets on top of the airbox, that will help you do exactly this without any risk of squashing the hoses.
                1980 GS550ET

Comment

Thanx for the confirmation guys!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your handiwork, Kenny!
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

One more confirmation, based on your picture.

The hose is attached to the vacuum port that will go to your fuel petcock. It will open fuel flow when the engine is running.
                      The open port below the hose in that picture is the fuel supply. It attaches to the fuel port on the petcock.
                      As pictured, your carbs are numbered 1 through 4, left to right. The port on carb #2 is not visible in your picture, but the port on #4 is. Those are the vent ports that should have hoses attached that go to that rectangular loop on top of the airbox under the seat.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        One more confirmation, based on your picture.

The hose is attached to the vacuum port that will go to your fuel petcock. It will open fuel flow when the engine is running.
                        The open port below the hose in that picture is the fuel supply. It attaches to the fuel port on the petcock.
                        As pictured, your carbs are numbered 1 through 4, left to right. The port on carb #2 is not visible in your picture, but the port on #4 is. Those are the vent ports that should have hoses attached that go to that rectangular loop on top of the airbox under the seat.

thanks, highly appreciated 😀 this is why i love this forum as there are people here that actually know stuff. A great place to learn and get good advice.

Comment

Working...
                        X