GS1100G Popping on Overrun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Popping on Overrun

The 82 is up and running! Put the first 25 odd miles on it. It runs great! Plenty of power, pulls in every gear etc. On overrun when you let the throttle off or run downhill with no throttle (also sometimes on a barely cracked throttle) I get some popping through the pipe which has improved a bit over the mileage.

The Carbs I believe are stock apart from the screws being opened up to about 3-3.5 turns (best rpm idle method).

I have had an issue of number 4 not firing at idle so I suspect a partially blocked pilot jet which I believe is now cleared as it's idling great & performing great on the road. Still a bit less color on that pipe though.

I have a decent slug of seafoam in this tank, I wonder if like a 2 stroke with too much oil in that makes it run a little leaner...

Bike has a delkevic 4:1 and a Uni filter in the box (should be very similar to stock foam filter).

No chance of air leaks as it's had new rubber bits all round. including both new intake boots & airbox boots (although I did re-use the clamps, they seemed fine). This engine had new rings & stem seals and all new gaskets.

Just looking for some ideas... my primary idea is to run some more tanks of gas through it & see how it develops before I do anything but if anyone has suggestions (raise the needle a bit, use a bigger pilot jet, stop being lazy & pull the carbs to clean number 4 again...) then I'm open to them!
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Are you running the baffle in the exhaust?
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Switch the plug wires between 4 and 1, as a test.
      Pull the carbs and check.
      Check the valve clearances, and compression.
      The Gunson Colortune is EZ to use on the 1100G.
      Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 02-20-2020, 07:21 AM.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

25 mi. ain't much. If a possible pilot problem, how about giving the Seafoam a little longer to possibly do it's thing. Would be a shame to dig in to it, if a little more run time would have cured the problem. Just my opinion.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Looks like you're thinking along the same lines as me... I've had worse clear on bikes that haven't been ridden before. I had a friend who'd regularly leave his bike for 3-6 months at a time then jump start it & ride it with a full pot of "gum-out" in the tank to clear it. The first 3 miles were an absolute pain but it would get better & better as you rode...

Bill - good idea on the plug wire switch. I am getting good spark to number 4 however so I doubt it's that. I even put a spare plug in the wire when it was running on 3 to check that spark was present....

Compression - should be going up... new rings, still seating. Valves are in spec. Bike had a top end refresh.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hsJzhX]

I have a colortune, I think I've only used it once, maybe I'll give it a go.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

my understanding (perhaps mistaken??) is the colortune doesn't work as well with cv carbs. Exhaust bolts/studs tight? mine will pop more when i have a little leak there..
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Any place where the exhaust system connects, you can have a ever so slightly gap there. That can cause the popping. Mine pops from where the mega phone mates up with the collector ( mine is an RC pipe). It sucks in some cold air there when I let off the throttle, does it to just running down a hill with out any throttle. I've stopped it some by using an exhaust expander inside the collector to make a tighter fit. And if I'm right your Delkevic came in separate pieces, mega phone, collector and separated pipes. Lots of connections there. Oh and not to mention new exhaust seals.
              Last edited by mrbill5491; 02-20-2020, 06:38 PM.
              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Yep, that was my first thought too Greg. Torqued to spec though & I used new OEM gaskets.

I guess there could be a leak where the head pipes fit into the collector or where the muffler joins on the pipe.. Bill. I used their supplied sealant (RTV basically) so it should be ok but still possible, it sounds similar to what you experience.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

My Delkevic popped like you describe, probably because of the heavy gauge header.The baffle is all metal for memory and the sound is more ''tin can'' than my V&H or Bassani.
                  I did not used the Silicone sealant, everything fit perfect and I have no leaking.
                  I switched back to the Bassani after a test ride of maybe 30 miles.
                  My Delkevic is the straight system.
                  Marc
                  CIMG5381.jpg
                  Last edited by kochic; 02-20-2020, 08:01 PM.
                  AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                  1978 GS1000C X2
                  1978 GS1000E X2
                  1979 GS1000S
                  1979 gs1000
                  1983 gs400e

Comment

Ok, maybe just the way it's going to be then.... It sounds ok so far & I don't get any weird pulsing. Little louder than I'd like though.
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

I miss the over-run crackle and pop from my previous Motad system. Lovely racket when wound up and back down again under load.
                      It did help that a 1/2" chisel was whacked through the baffle about 30 years ago.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                        Ok, maybe just the way it's going to be then.... It sounds ok so far & I don't get any weird pulsing. Little louder than I'd like though.
                        Good new for you for the offbeat pulse.
                        This is the only reason why the Delkevic is not on my GS.
                        Marc
                        AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                        1978 GS1000C X2
                        1978 GS1000E X2
                        1979 GS1000S
                        1979 gs1000
                        1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          I ordered the straight muffler system instead of the megaphone system, I got sucked into it because the straight is 2lb lighter. Like that's a biggie.
                          The description of the megaphone muffler implies that it's a bit quieter, but probably not much if any.
                          I ordered a Chinese made universal inner baffle "DB killer", hoping that would reduce the shock wave and lower the crackle at least.
                          In this system I'll fit it where the collector meets the muffler.
                          For $5 it's a cheap experiment.
                          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Yeah I chose the straight just because I preferred the look... Be interesting to hear what your $5 does!

Before polish and badges by salty_monk, on Flickr

GS1100G Delkovic by salty_monk, on Flickr
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Looks like very little room for fiberglass packing on that baffle, but every little bit helps.
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X