Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far should the carb boots / hoses recess into the airbox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How far should the carb boots / hoses recess into the airbox?

Been fighting with the airbox all day, trying to reinstall. I've read the forums and tried most of the tricks and methods. Can't seem to see a clear answer to this question, but I suspect I know the answer. The hoses have a series of grooves. Should they recess into the airbox like the photo on the left, further in? Or the photo on the right, with 1 groove out (which seems loose.)

Related - the boots are labeled L and R. Do they need to be rotated in a certain direction once installed? Like should L and R be on top? I can't see that it matters a lot.

Thanks
    Attached Files

They should be installed like the picture on the right. I don't think the rotation matters.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Agree, the right-side picture is correct.

As for rotation, on some bikes it makes a difference, others, it does not.

Look on the airbox, probably at the bottom of the hole. Do you see two small dots or dimples?
      Look on the tubes. Do you see a dimple on one of the flanges? HINT: if the tube is mounted as in the left picture, the dimple would be hidden.
      Align the dimples, if you have them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the L &R should be straight up, but that's for the boots between the carbs to the head. Honestly I don't remember the L & R on those connecting the air box. Hey, They are a pain in the burt ain't they? Good luck
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Helpful as always. Thanks guys. That extra 1/4" or so will help. Was having trouble getting the boots to slide onto the carbs and still have the mounting brackets line up.

Comment

Follow up for the next guy dealing with airbox boot installation that might find this thread...what worked for me. Your mileage may vary. Bottom line, it was easier for me to move the airbox on to solidly mounted boots rather than getting boots onto the carbs after the box was mounted.

In addition to the notes above...
            • Carbs on first, installed with clamps snug, but not all the way tight in case you have to jiggle them around a bit.
            • Airbox boots loosely inserted in airbox holes about halfway.
            • Airbox with loose boots slid roughly into position behind carbs. I used a block of wood to hold the airbox up while I...
            • Attach carb-side of boots to carbs using clamps.
            • Then I slid the airbox up and forward on to the now carb-mounted boots and, with a bit of jiggling, the airbox popped into the correct position on each boot.
            • Attach the airbox mounting screws that hold the airbox up.
            • Tighten up the carb clamps.

Comment

Sorry the sound is so poor -

But this may help...some ..?

<strong>
              Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
              X