Choke in cold weather (5c, 40f) on 1981 GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
    Works for me, ride off with choke maybe still 1/4 out. If lucky I remember to push it off after a couple of min., If I forget, at first stop, when I pull the clutch in, eng. rev's. to 2000 or 2500 rpm, then I know to push it completely off. Never been a problem
    true enough in town- I forget what it's like I suppose- I have only one stop, then go for 15 miles at 50-60mph. ...the one traffic light on the way might be red, but I generally coast up without stopping if it is.

and to be honest...when the choke-(rather "enricher" as Suzuki has it) is half-open, I couldn't tell you if it eats more gas at these cruising speeds, but I sure hate the idea of it.

Comment

Sort of a side question, but does anyone know the fuel range of my bike?

According to some websites it has 22 litres tank, some says 20 (I know it fits somewhat more than 20). But I am uncertain how much it actually uses. I told my GPS it has 300 km range, but it seems to only use 11ish litres on 200km. So maybe it has 400km range?
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Impressively the STP Injector Cleaner seems to have helped it run a lot smoother. It doesn't pop when revving it anymore, and there is significantly less smoke when starting up. It also sounds better on deceleration.

But now my tach is dead, it just stays on 0-rpm (I am guessing it is unrelated to the inector cleaner though). I did hear a strange whining noise when driving home yesterday (but it worked fine then).

I put it in the garage incase it is frozen (?) but I am not sure if it was actually bellow freezing tonight (was plesantly warm today, sun and 5c).
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          Sort of a side question, but does anyone know the fuel range of my bike?

According to some websites it has 22 litres tank, some says 20 (I know it fits somewhat more than 20). But I am uncertain how much it actually uses. I told my GPS it has 300 km range, but it seems to only use 11ish litres on 200km. So maybe it has 400km range?
          highly unlikely you get 400km...

I don't have your exact bike but averages between my smaller cc "beater-bike" and the "Best" Suzukis are 18-22 km/liter.

for "odometer indicated fill-up intervals" , subtract the Reserve from your total tank capacity.... These will be listed in the manual somewhere.

Comment

24L tank on the 850. One time I managed to squeeze 60mpg from it. That's 300 miles range including reserve. 480km.
            It was boring as hell, though.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

as an aside, there are "apps for that"...
              There's a lot of them but I will stick my neck out for an Android one I've been using for years:
              "Fillup 2.1.1". There's an old version on FDroid that works on older phones and up ...but..the latest is version 2.1.4 for android 10 but I haven't tried it.

Fillup 2.1.1 has been trouble free, ad-free and doesn't ever seem to phone home according to my firewall...has logs,graphs and database is easily exported as .csv files for each vehicle.
              It's most useful if you fill your tank at every fillup. You can keep track of many vehicles.
              It's interesting to see variations and how much gas is used over the years total mileages ...you can make notes per gasoline type and oil changes too...you can "reject" wildcards from the average..ie: accidentally emptying the tank or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                as an aside, there are "apps for that"...
                There's a lot of them but I will stick my neck out for an Android one I've been using for years:
                "Fillup 2.1.1". There's an old version on FDroid that works on older phones and up ...but..the latest is version 2.1.4 for android 10 but I haven't tried it.

Fillup 2.1.1 has been trouble free, ad-free and doesn't ever seem to phone home according to my firewall...has logs,graphs and database is easily exported as .csv files for each vehicle.
                It's most useful if you fill your tank at every fillup. You can keep track of many vehicles.
                It's interesting to see variations and how much gas is used over the years total mileages ...you can make notes per gasoline type and oil changes too...you can "reject" wildcards from the average..ie: accidentally emptying the tank or whatever.
                I downloaded the app, this seems exactly what I need to calculate a more accurate milage.

I can't think of a reason not to fill a motorcycle tank entirely every time Im at a gas station, I prefer the tank to be full.
                GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                X