X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Leaking from intake box

Ok.

1980 GS550E

Bike was running find I noticed today that gas was leaking from the intake box through the drain at the bottlom of it. I took off the air cleaner and found gasoline in there. What could this be?

Regards

Opinions:
    A few possibilities, or a combination of any or all.

Petcock left on prime. Easy fix - Don’t do that.

Petcock not stopping flow when bike not running and is set to ON or RES. Fix - Replace petcock with OEM or similar or try your luck at rebuilding. This has a very low success rate.

Float needles in carbs not doing their jobs to hold back gas when not called for. Fix - Replace carb float needles/seats.

Highly recommend checking your oil level for over full. Oil should not smell like gas. If gas in your airbox, could very well have gone the other way into the engine. Fix - Drain oil, change filter, fix fueling issue, replace oil.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-06-2020, 07:45 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

That year petcock has the prime that has to be activated with a screwdriver from memory. It's a weird one & there is an O ring in there from memory. If you didn't know what it did... maybe it has just vibrated loose (or the O ring disintegrated & that allowed it to come loose). Fingers crossed. The other fixes are harder.
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There is no prime position on this. It uses vacum from the carbs to open the valve. Just on and reserve. I rebuilt the ptecock but it still leaks from the opening when the tank is off the bike .

Comment

The 1980s have a reserve but like Salty_Monk said, it's a bit different than normal. How about posting up a picture of your petcock so we can make sure you don't have the dreaded version?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

After you fix or replace petcock you will still have to
            Float needles in carbs not doing their jobs to hold back gas when not called for. Fix [cleaning and replacing o-rings might do]- Replace carb float needles/seats.
            per post #2. The float needles should stop fuel flow on an upright bike even when the petcock fails.

Comment

Working...
            X