Possible petcock fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kingjoel View Post
    It works perfect!! By removing the little stop tab so the lever can be straight up I have OFF. By removing the diaphragm o-ring I have ON (without needing vacuum) and still have a functioning RESERVE when in the RESERVE position. PRIME is no longer needed since vacuum is not connected. The filter screen is connected. I also added an inline filter to keep the fine rust dust from the carbs. I did leave the diaphragm spring out but you can do what you want.
    You King> you didn't happen to take any pics, did you?

I need to do this to my '81. I've owned this bike for 39 years and NEVER liked the vacuum setup. I've never rebuilt or replaced the diagram either, so it sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Could be my imagination too but it seems like, right now, the bike starts easier on PRime position.

Comment

I did have to cut a little off the lever to clear the tank. That made it a little harder to switch positions.
      1978 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Kingjoel View Post
        I did have to cut a little off the lever to clear the tank. That made it a little harder to switch positions.
        I wanna do this but I need some help. Do you have any pictures?

Comment

https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?239970-Converting-a-vacuum-petcock-into-a-manual-petcock&highlight=petcock+modification

For pre 1980 bikes.
          Last edited by CrazyCloud; 09-23-2020, 08:05 PM.
          Regards,
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by OriginalOwner View Post
            I've owned this bike for 39 years and NEVER liked the vacuum setup.
            What don't you like about it?

It is a model of basic simplicity. Start the bike, fuel flows. Turn the bike off, fuel stops.

If you don't ride for a few weeks, you do have to prime, but you would have to turn on a manual petcock anyway.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does make you wonder..... Don't it ???????
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
              X