Can't find a Petcock for my 81 GS650E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find a Petcock for my 81 GS650E

Can't find a Petcock for my 81 GS650E anyone have any Idea? I have looked at all the on line places I can think off and can't even find a Chinese one on eBay.
    They are apparently a one year only. I only see them for the 82 650e. Any help would be appreciated.
    Jerry
    1981 GS650E
    1982 GS1100E
    2018 Can AM Spyder
    1980 GS1000G (parts)

Yes, seems to be oddball with vac and outlet ports facing forward….can you adapt a rear facing port unit? Enough room for hoses?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The Suzuki pet cocks I've worked on, the back plate is square & can be installed pointing either up, down, forward, or backward. I've not worked on one from a "81" 650.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I tried an old petcock from my 82 1100e and I think I can make that work if I raise the year of the tank about 1/2" and notch the front of the side cover.
        now I will start looking for that one. I might even try rebuilding the one I have. Thanks for all the response.
        Jerry
        1981 GS650E
        1982 GS1100E
        2018 Can AM Spyder
        1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Oh, I thought you didn't have one & needed one. What's wrong with the one you have? Many here have had problems with rebuild kits & naturally don't recommend them, but I've had good luck with them. If it's not completely shutting fuel off, when eng. not running, you can take it apart, check the rubber seal for cracks or gouges, clean seal & seat good, & stretch the spring just a little. These things are really simple & little to go wrong. Good luck.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Yes, the '81 GS650's had a one-year petcock. Later years had a fuel gauge sending unit, so the petcock was placed much more forward on the tank edge. The other years model could have the bottom portion flipped around, but the vacuum port (or is the fuel outlet?) would still be facing the wrong direction. Maybe some sort of 90-degree fitting? I would love to convert it a Karcoma somehow.
            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Yes, seems to be oddball with vac and outlet ports facing forward….can you adapt a rear facing port unit? Enough room for hoses?
              My very early (9/76 build date) GS750 "pre-B" has a similar petcock, with both ports facing forward. One is an air port, not a fuel outlet. It pushes the internal diapraghm so fuel only flows in the "On" or "Res" positions while the engine is running. "Pri" flows fuel all the time and can indeed "overpower" the float needle on the #4 carb. I could not find a replacement petcock which allowed the backplate to be reinstalled...the one I have has the backplate as a (perhaps pressed in) permanent mounting. I use a 90 degree fitting on the fuel outlet hose to the carbs to compensate for this. But I have not been able to get the "On" position to feed fuel, though there does seem to be positive pressure from the smaller diameter hose. I also have not found a rebuild kit for the original petcock which works. All the supposed "correct" kits or petcocks I've looked at are not correct for the bike.
              I think the 90 degree fitting might solve Jerry's routing problem...I got mine from some boating supply company whose name I cant recall. If I can find the invoice I will post that info. But if anyone has an idea about my other issues please let me know

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                Oh, I thought you didn't have one & needed one. What's wrong with the one you have? Many here have had problems with rebuild kits & naturally don't recommend them, but I've had good luck with them. If it's not completely shutting fuel off, when eng. not running, you can take it apart, check the rubber seal for cracks or gouges, clean seal & seat good, & stretch the spring just a little. These things are really simple & little to go wrong. Good luck.
                No I don't have one that is usable the the tube for the fuel hose is missing and it is frozen. I was referring to the old one from my 821100e. I ordered a kit k&L kit for it and will see if I can make it work. I have never tried to rebuild on before but I don't have much choice.
                Jerry
                1981 GS650E
                1982 GS1100E
                2018 Can AM Spyder
                1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Now you guys have me thinking. The same kit I ordered is for the 650 as well as the 1100e. The fuel tube that is missing was evidently pressed into the petcock. I think I may be able to thread the outlet and use a screw in fitting. I will check that out tomorrow.
                  Jerry
                  1981 GS650E
                  1982 GS1100E
                  2018 Can AM Spyder
                  1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Well I solved one problem I turned down an old brass fitting and made a sleeve that was a press fit into the petcock. After I froze my brass sleeve and heated the petcock I pressed it in and used a 1/4" pipe tap to cut threads. Now i can use a 1/4'' barbed hose fitting.
                    Now i have to wait until the rebuild kit comes to see if i can get this thing working. i would welcome any advice from those that have rebuilt one successfully.
                    IMG_4033 by Gerald Kaiser, on Flickr
                    Jerry
                    1981 GS650E
                    1982 GS1100E
                    2018 Can AM Spyder
                    1980 GS1000G (parts)

Comment

Working...
                    X