No announcement yet.

lithium ion battery requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one I installed has 60 more CCA than the AGM it replaced.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I installed a physically smaller Shorai battery in the 1150. No other changes to the charging system.
      I had to go with a smaller battery because changing the swingarm to a braced calfab arm from a GS 750 changed the upper travel of the linkage such that it would have smacked the original battery box.
      The Three Horsemen
      '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
      '83 GS1100ES
      ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
      Porkchop Express

Comment

Lithium are always rated as an equivalent - that's because the discharge is different.
        A lithium will output nearly full voltage until it's very flat (and then go totally dead). An AGM or lead acid will taper off more slowly so you can't use the full capacity of the battery (as the voltage is too low even though that there is lots of raw energy still in the battery).

You do need at least the same CCA as the original battery (most AGM are rated higher CCA than the original lead acid too). More is fine. You will likely find the smaller one will work (people have used very small batteries on GS customs) but you need to make sure that there is adequate reserve (these bikes do not really charge at idle although with the stator with the extra winds on it from Elektrek they do).
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X