turns with two cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turns with two cylinders

hello everyone, it's been a long time since I write but I always follow my favorite forum!
    i have a problem, gs1000g 1980 with mod coils.
    Starting from the beginning: in October I stopped the bike which worked very well, except for a valve gasket that smoked too much.
    In January all the valve seals, shim control, compression were replaced. thorough cleaning (not needed) carburetors, adjusted floats, replaced all o-rings, even the intake head ones.
    I turn on and it produces smelly gas mist, ok starter cable pulled. I reset, turn on, ok no smoke, not even from valves, but turn three before 2000rpm! because? black candle soot. replaced coke piston inside carburetor, try again but no change.
    Changed spark plug, engine runs two, only 1 and 4. What happens? What does this have to do with valve seals work? did I cause short circuit somewhere?
    At this point, thanks also to the advice of a friend, I changed the reel, with a 1100g, with a quick connector for testing, on a tripod it works, turns at 4, regular minimum, collector 2 and 3 cold, but could not try due to bad weather.
    Take advantage to reopen, connect everything well with 1000g coil that I know well (but values ​​4ohm + 20.4 khom ... too low?), I put pilot 2 and 3 at 2 turns open, again working at 2! spark plug 2 and 3 wet but not black, collectors all hot, lit only a few minutes.

I decided to mount test coil again (4 ohm - 27 khom) and put the pilot back to 1 + 1/2 and then turn it back on .. any other ideas? here in Italy spare parts are not found, I have a donor gs1100g 82, if the problem is the cdi and pickup can they fit on 1000g? can they be tested?

sorry my english, google translator!
    Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Since it was running last October , it’s probably not the ignitor (it’s actually not a “cdi”). Sounds like weak / no spark on plugs Forum and Blogs . Try something simple….remove plug caps from plug wires on 2 and 3 . Snip off 6mm to expose fresh copper . Reinstall plug caps and see if there’s improvement.
    The stock ignition coils are very durable ,but the connections get corroded and cause problems

Edit. Ignore the (forum and blogs) stuff…..the site is fighting me
    Last edited by tom203; 04-30-2022, 05:16 PM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No 2 and No 3 for 'forum' and 'blogs'.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

replaced coil signal connector, made a small turn seem solved. confirmed in the next tests
        Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Update, I found the problems, an idle jet was unscrewed, I hope I have not forgotten myself, but perhaps alone I have a tendency not to tighten the screws inside the carburetors so as not to break, excess of gentleness, and this caused bad going at low rpm and rich blend. Also I found all the intake manifold o-rings that were leaking, bought new with specs from the part list but obviously he sent them wrong! Now my beautiful gs is back, it purrs and runs well almost electric! I also changed wires from CDIs to coils, new and without plugs only at the beginning and at the end. All that remains is to use it! sorry for my english, google translator!
          Ciao dall'Italia!

GS1000G 1980

Comment

Working...
          X