GS550e "interesting" ignition problem - dies when coils are hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    That IS peculiar^^kill switch dectivated and the starter button (that activates solenoid) doesn't appear to have power from your diagram unless your orangish swipe mark is an existing wire the PO did? if so, it'll work but no kill switch.*
    Very strange, PO has made the join between the O/W and O so they no longer touch the handlebar switch. makes sense to bypass the kill switch but.... firstly there is still a .3v drop even though theres no switch in the circuit now and secondly the starter is still getting a feed from somewhere, it must be from this extra wire that disappears in the handlebar loom. Has to be spliced into same circuit inside the loom without damaging the outer sheath!! Im gonna see if i can get a probe into the switch and test out the wire for continuaty to see where it connects as its bugging me!

New coils on the way for the initial problem

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
    1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
    London UK

Comment

New coils fitted and original problem solved!
      Still need to look into voltage drops around fusebox and bypassed kill switch but thats a job for another day

If it helps someone in future the summary is - 2 cases of coils failing on late GS550e when they get hot and stalling the engine on idle. Once its stopped, wait about 15 minutes and it will start again no problem. Keeping revs high prevents it stalling in the first place. Coils all check out OK with resistance tests but are failing when hot.

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
      1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
      London UK

Comment

Hurray! Ride on!
        ..but keep an eye (or a hand) on the new coils for awhile. and after your brain has a rest, make another dive into the rabbit hole. What the PO did might be workable but you should be sure. Kill switches are "handy"- while taking your hand off the handlebar and reaching over to a key "in the event.." is not. If I found a kill switch a nuisance, I'd just put a dab of glue on it- not rewire around it.

Comment

You might want to put a relay in to supply direct battery power to the coils. losses through the kill switch won' t bother a relay, but losses at the coil is a major problem. That is one of the first mods I did on my GS1000 and it has never let me down.
          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
          X