Bogging down gsx250e after a mile always and stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging down gsx250e after a mile always and stops

I have been having an issue with my 1980 gsx250e.
    starts fine. within a mile it will start to misfire a bit like running out of petrol but
    more misfiring and then it will just stop. when it does this the dash lights are on but nothing else works, horn , start , lights ...
    I wait a few minutes and all works again bit it will bog down within 300 yards.

- cleaned carbs
    - changed pet tap
    - no kinks in fuel line
    - removed inline fuel filter
    - coils check on bench OK, swapped anyway for ones that check OK too.
    - battery charged
    - battery test shows its charging when I start from cool. 3k revs 13.7 volts
    - is not the petrol
    - pickups check OK when tested. (not done when heating them up)
    - Stator test seems a bit low but same as my GS and that is fine. results in thread below)
    - Regulator/ rectifier tests on bench OK. (results I'm thread below )

1980 GSX250E bogging down intermittently: I took my bike out today and it seems to bog down and splutter and go on one cylinder and can only get home with great difficulty revving it very high sometimes on one cylinder. This now is reliably what will happen if I ever take it out. It seems to happen even within a mile out. I

just sorted loads of connections and it's done it again within 400 yards.

- one new thing. when for first time I tests battery charge when hot - it showed 14.8v at 1.5k revs. this can be right ? RR at fault ?

- also the RR Regulator seems to be very hot ?

any ideas be so appreciated .
    Last edited by ukjules; 05-21-2022, 11:36 AM.
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

If that R/R seems very hot, will the R/R from your GS550ET be made to work temporarily on your GSX 250E?
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

14.8V is right on the edge of acceptability. What's the airflow over that RR like? If it's an old shunt type, it will tend to get warm anyway, but even at that my old shunt ones never got actually HOT.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

You are now describing symptoms of a dying battery due to faulty charging.
        Ill also assume your battery has been rendered unchargeable.

Classic Suzuki fail

The battery is marginally charged bike starts and runs then dies.
        Battery sits and partially recovers ( theres a tech term for this but I cant recall its name.)

I have had several OEM reg rects die they are simply crap. SOme blame connections but my new series has no better connections and runs cool to the touch without a ripple.

To test this get a big fan to cool the engine and run the bike on its centre stand using a healthy car battery to supply juice.
        If it runs in excess of you painfully short present best time then its def regulator
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks all. it seems exactly as yiu describe ! battery poss on way out Nd dies as you describe

airflow over RR - Poor as hidden by side panel

Battery - yes has been troublesome to charge and at one point I put aside. it never on my trickle charger stopped blinking (meaning constant charge). it did get enough volts mind to start my bike.....
          yes the battery is suspect. (I have a perfect one in gs)

and yes I have a car battery for any tests.

can j ask one thing ! what does this mean in English? for the test ?
          don't mean to be rude but you have the exact issue and wanted to do the test today .... (it may be me as I had 8 speckled hen ales last night )

"if it runs in excess of you painfully short present best time then its def regulator"

AND

can anyone suggest where to get another RR if that is the next thing.
          (I will see jf I can use the gs rectifier for a test too )
          Last edited by ukjules; 05-22-2022, 04:43 AM.
          UKJULES
          1980 Suzuki GS550ET
          1977 Yamaha RD 250D
          1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
          1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Test 1)
            car battery - fan - static bike test - start and run and see if it runs smoothly for far longer than when it usually bogs down (usually within 6 minutes)

(I think this deciphering of test is correct)

(this test first as j have just yesterday redon all the connections on both bikes stator, forgot the plastic shields and used elec tape so doing this again will be last to try and swap rectifiers )
            (q) wonder with long wires could I connect from.gs rectifier to gsx and not take it off gs ? and do the static run with fan)
            UKJULES
            1980 Suzuki GS550ET
            1977 Yamaha RD 250D
            1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
            1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Results.

car battery 12.74v
              ignition on 12.5
              started 1k 13.3
              2.5k revs 15v
              3k revs 15.34

I stopped it before it usually bogged down as these are mad figures.

don't forget my stator ohm figures were 1.4ohm at 200ohm setting between all three points . this is same as.my gs which works fine.

I have never seen such high readings on a working bike. usually no more than 14
              on my gs at high revs.

do you guys reckon it is the RR ? (If so any thoughts on where to get one? and Out of interest would any one do - 3 stator wires plus a neg and pos ?

OR

do I do the gs swap RR test first ?

whatever is said I will make so
              Last edited by ukjules; 05-22-2022, 05:51 AM.
              UKJULES
              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Get a proper series reg rec, an SH-775 and wire it in.
                Do a search on here for the info, there's no shortage of it.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                  Thanks all. it seems exactly as yiu describe ! battery poss on way out Nd dies as you describe

airflow over RR - Poor as hidden by side panel

Battery - yes has been troublesome to charge and at one point I put aside. it never on my trickle charger stopped blinking (meaning constant charge). it did get enough volts mind to start my bike.....
                  yes the battery is suspect. (I have a perfect one in gs)

and yes I have a car battery for any tests.

can j ask one thing ! what does this mean in English? for the test ?
                  don't mean to be rude but you have the exact issue and wanted to do the test today .... (it may be me as I had 8 speckled hen ales last night )

"if it runs in excess of you painfully short present best time then its def regulator"

)
                  Well it was in English
                  If hooked up to a large reserve car battery and if the Bike runs far longer than it had previously then it point to the charging system.
                  1983 GS 550 LD
                  2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Its not me its the keyboard
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I see if I add (you = your) followed by a comma it does in fact read correctly.
                      Totally understood on keyboard fault !! especially using a mobile.

Now saying that! Searching on a mobile phone for details on series regulators on this site leads me no where. I say again no where of any use.

Yes I know i want one. I know there are many types of regulator but if you guys say it is the one it is the one. I could order from wemoto in flash but I am damned sure they are a more standard type.

The obvious next questions a millisecond after that realisation is where to buy one (a series RR) and how to fit as everyone on ebay has different connections (not an issue being handy with the bullet connections I have to assume only).

I assumed someone sat having a beer on a Sunday might have said - hey jules you get this one (pic or url), and here is a wiring diagram I made to assist you in between gulps of the cool ale. armed with a bullet connector knowledge it will take you 15 minutes.

now anyone who stumbles on this thread if they read on will get that !
                      UKJULES
                      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Best replacement = SH-775. Just search that term on here for loads of info. They're not always easy to find in the UK, An adequate alternative is an old Honda r/r, as fitted to Honda Super Dreams and others from that era. https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/stora...eplacement.pdf
                        1980 GS550ET

Comment

Electrex in the UK for new Reg/rec.
                          Regulator Rectifiers | Electrex World Ltd Page 1
                          Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                          VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                          https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

You really can’t swing a dead cat on the forum and not have read about the SH775 and how to connect it.

Of all of the topics covered on this forum, there has probably been more written about the GS's less-than-perfect charging system and how to fix it than any other topic, along with how to wire a SH775 R/R. Do some searching, read the charging system sorted thread linked in my signature if you like. It's pretty thorough. I would think that the twin bikes wiring is very similar to the fours. But before you get started, get a good wiring diagram and factory service manual, Clymers, or Haynes for your bike year/model. Look for those on BikeCliff's Website, also linked in my signature.

Ed Ness (Nessism)has done us all a favor and dumbed down the SH775 wiring for us.

The Triumph lead for the SH775 is item# T2500676 and is arguably the best method of connection to the RR, Save for the experts who use fancy potting goo from the aerospace industry. Just cut off the ends opposite the RR connections and wire as the above diagram shows.
                            http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...gaAo5AEALw_wcB

Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

people who know me on here know I have all the manuals all the tools ...... but suffer very badly at electrical work ......but I get by.

Guys I appreciate the info !!!!

now for the first time I have seen one of these sh775's (the picture) and the excellent and simple wiring diagram made tidy with that triumph connector.

so very easy (for anyone reading if they search the forums)

https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-...2Ehtml#SID=439

and the triumph connector in uk :
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283376098...mis&media=COPY

so just need to check if i have a lithium ion battery..... I don't on gsx !!!! but do on gs I am sure. (wonder what one does then).

anyone had any luck from one from China?
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184951227...mis&media=COPY
                              Last edited by ukjules; 05-23-2022, 11:07 AM.
                              UKJULES
                              1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                              1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                              1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                              1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Working...
                              X