Mounting SH775 reg/rec on GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting SH775 reg/rec on GS550T

With running voltages well above 15V, the original rectifier on my '81 GS550T was clearly shot and cooking the otherwise new battery, so it was time for a replacement.

Nessism graciously offered one of his stashed SH775 and lots of guidance. The images and below are captured as a reference for others who are looking to make this change.

Below is a pic of the finished product. Salient notes are:
    1. The SH775 bolts right into the top hole in the normal mounting bracket. I only used the top bolt, which seems plenty secure, will try to add the lower bolt if I can get decent access. The unit hits the rear inner fender, which bends enough to make room.

2. I had to rotate the signal relay 180 deg to make room for the reg/rec. This now partially blocks the side panel grommet, but my side panels are long gone anyway.

3. I spent $20 (including shipping) on the Triumph Daytona harness (http://www.adeptpowersports.com/oem-...0676-part.html)
    rather than create my own connectors. I clipped off the factory connectors and split the various wires since Triumph tapes everything together tightly. The wires on the Triumph harness are heavy gauge, so be prepared to use Yellow connectors (10-12ga).

4. I used the wiring diagram provided in other threads. It really is as simple as shown.
    - Two black ground wires from the Triumph harness are twisted together and go to battery ground.
    - Brown positive wires also twisted together and connect to the red bullet connector in the harness where the red wire from the original regulator plugged in
    - Three generator wires plug from the SH775 will plug directly to the wires from the generator, which are unplugged from the harness on the RH side near the brake master cylinder, fuse box, etc. Then just re-route the wires directly to the battery area. I opted to re-use the generator's spade connectors by adding female spade connectors to the three wires in the Triumph's harness. I bought yellow female spade connectors with rubber shielding, but they didn't quite fit into the factory shields, so I cracked the originals a little to make room. You could also use uncovered connectors and rely on the factors covers.

5. Some people recommend soldering everything together, but I wanted something that could be disassembled and kept the original wiring mostly unmolested ... plus I suck at soldering.

6. The only change I made to the GS's wiring was to snip off the bullet connector on the red positive wire since it wasn't fastening securely to the HW store bullet connector. Image has it gong over the frame, but that was just for the picture.

7. As you can see, I use the battery strap to hold generator wires in place.

Not sure of the mounting options on other GS models, but hope that helps others in my situation.
    PXL_20220722_121608407.jpg
    Last edited by sacruickshank; 07-22-2022, 05:19 PM.
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

the original unit
    image_59681.jpg
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

The SH775 in place, before wiring

PXL_20220709_150817180.jpg

Comment

Here's the semi-fried stator, which I opted to keep since it was still cranking out V's
        PXL_20220626_114240607.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X