Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GACK! GS has no lights! yup, im going to be one of those....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GACK! GS has no lights! yup, im going to be one of those....

Hi All!

Before I ask, I will detail what I have done so far and what is going on. (please disregard my spelling/grammar)

1978 GS750, bike ran last season, no issues other than occasional short and carb tuning. Spent most of the season working on it to get it upgraded and reliable.

Test after assembly has failed.

No lights whatsoever, bike turns over with shorted starter relay. No spark. No horn. No start button function. Basically no electrical evident unless tested.

Kill switch set to run.
    Battery is new, tests at 12.99, ignition is dynatek and was installed new this winter past along with a new stator (Kimpex?) and new spark plugs turn indicators, (Non LED) and headlight.(drag specialties 55/60W H4 Bulb).
    Tested regulator rectifier, all circuits within spec. (unknown aftermarket with 3 yellow, 1 black, and one red wire)
    Tested stator, is good.
    Tested lights, good.
    Tested grounds for leeching, voltage sits at 12,98/99
    double, triple, quadruple checked and a few more times, the wiring harness. Replaced 75% of wires and connectors with new wire, and replaced shady assed connections with new soldered and sealed connections.

I referenced the clymer manual initially (yes I know its junk,) then I found a differenter more betterer wiring diagram on the forums here. Wiring harness has minimal breaks, minimal quick connections, one single 15 amp fuse. Wire gauges are a bit fatter in places, to ensure no power drain going to secondary wires.

I am not 100% that the stator and regulator rectifier are connected properly, as I have no reference for the two regarding wiring, but, I deduced that the white with green trace goes to the stator and the white with red trace goes to regulator/rectifier coming from the harness, and the remaining yellow gets connected respectively. I had a wild guess that the black is ground and the red receives power. ( this is almost pure conjecture at this point. everything else matches diagrams and passes connectivity as required.) that being said, I may have gotten this part correct.

my question: what else can I test, or try to solve for this issue? maybe shake some chicken bones while dancing the hula in a grass skirt?

Thank you all very much for reading this post and providing feedback.

Note* I have read about 600 electrical related topics on the forum here, and cant quite find an answer yet.

Any further info I have that I may have forgotten I will add in an edit.

1978 GS750 (EC)?
    2001 V-Star 650, bobbed and butchered

You can disconnect r/r and stator stuff and see if power magically returns . As far as charging connections, the 79 gs850 color wiring diagram off Basscliffs site should be similar regarding layout. I’ll assume you tried a different 15 amp fuse
    The new stator ….is it a 12 pole unit like the original?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yes to the fuse,
      yes to 12 pole, but i will confirm,
      and thanks for the reference to a wiring diagram, ill go look
      1978 GS750 (EC)?

Comment

found the potential cause of my woes...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        1978 GS750 (EC)?

Comment

Duhhhh, that sure resembles a problem. Hoping all is good from there forward.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

On the 1100G I had something somewhat similar... turned out if was a lighting cowl in the gauge set that had fallen off & was shorting against something... the fuel gauge I think. That was shorting out the Orange wire (maybe orange white) that supplies 12v to most of the bike. I'm thinking you could have something similar.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
            X