What’s The Trick to Removing These ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s The Trick to Removing These ???

I need to change the messed up wiring harness from the tail light on my 82 GS650G and swap it out with another I have. I have to get into the back of the brake light housing and for the life of me I cannot get the two large JIS (Phillips) screws/bolts, holding the housing together, to loosen at all on either of the two rear brake lights I am working with.

Am I missing something?
    GS550T 1981
    GS850G 1983
    GS650G 1982
    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

PB blaster !!...
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I tried a bunch of sprays … will not budge … feels like there’s an obstruction almost.
      GS550T 1981
      GS850G 1983
      GS650G 1982

Comment

A little heat and an impact screw driver.
        - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
        - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Wondering if these screws are screwed into plastic or metal?
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Here's the schematic for the '82 GS650G Tail Light Assembly if that helps.

Maybe with the lens removed you can get some spray in at the inside of the housing where those screws that come in from the back (#7) are.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 10-19-2022, 01:00 PM.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The two screws (7 on the diagram) screw into the tail light frame (1 on the above diagram). When I try to turn these screws to remove them they feel rock solid locked. There appears to be some kind of sped nut? Embedded in the tail light frame that prohibits them from being removed … would the put a permanent locktite in there???
              GS550T 1981
              GS850G 1983
              GS650G 1982

Comment

The fiche makes it look as if they used the cool hex\phillips combo head on the bolt. Can you get no purchase on the hex? or am I wrong and it is solely phillips?
                If its a phillips my first response would be to check the condition of the metal bits they thread into, do the bolts protrude and show whiskery notable corrosion? a drop of muriatic acid works wonders on galvanic corrosion.

But just a drop and use brake clean to get ay petroleum crap off the bits before trying acid.

now when this fails my next trick would be to carefully drill off the phillips heads. Use a bit just large enough to rest in the recessed bit but not so small as to get caught and hop.
                ANother fine tool for this is a carbide ball shaped tool in a dremel like device or even a drill if you can find one with a suitably long shank.

once the head are gone you can seperate the housing and get a massive surface are to apply a monster pair of vise grips at maximum finger hurting closing pressure.

no heat as I assume the intermediary but that holds the inserts the bolts thread into is plastic. Also take pains not to over torque with the vise grips cause 30 yr old plastic can be fussy.
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

If you can get vice grips on the head on them, you can probably get then to move. That's my last resort for stuck Phillips heads, but I make sure it's all prepared, as in take the fender off the bike, so you can get a good bike. Worse comes to worse, the Phillips tip hole gives you a good center for a drill and you can drill them both out, and use new nuts and bolts. .

Comment

Either direction you turn it is progress.
                    If it can take heat, heat the head. Soldering iron works well but will be slower.
                    Get it as hot as you can without destroying plastics etc.
                    Spray Blaster in it.
                    You can try either tightening or loosening just put good force into the screw (impact if you have it) and see if you can wiggle back and forth.
                    Repeat as needed.
                    Additionally shock cooling may work
                    Heat it.
                    Get a can of keyboard cleaner and turn it upside down and shoot it when it's hot. (not responsible for damage)
                    Repeat and repeat again
                    Back and forth, back and forth. Spray, heat, spray etc.

To give you an idea. I took 1 hour to remove 1 sparkplug from my Dodge. and was happy in the end.
                    Any progress is better and don't force it. If it moves, that's progress.
                    Alt
                    "You are replying to the most modest person you will ever know."

1982 Suzuki GS 450A
                    1980 Honda CM400A
                    2002 Honda Relex
                    1957 H35 Bonanza

Comment

Ebay its really not worth the effort.
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                      X