Stater and Reg/Rect problems on 82 GS650Ez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
    I've never seen that before. Kind of funny. With all the bike that fall over, why not put the thing somewhere inside the case!!
    assuming the crash bar fails to do so,it IS a case saver. Replaceable. ...but I haven't tried sliding the bike on it yet. Funny Nobody has asked if it cools the the stator at all. I find that very interesting...

Comment

It's on the engine, how much cooling could possibly happen unless it was mounted to an insulator of some sort. Even then, it's on the source of all the heat the motorcycle makes. Not a good place, heat is the enemy of electronics.
      Last edited by Suzukian; 12-15-2022, 01:23 PM.

Comment

An addendum, if you mounted that on a 3/8th's thick sheet of Asbestos, that would insulate it so much, the R/R wouldn't know if it was on fire, or ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukian View Post
          I've never seen that before.
          Parts like that were not uncommon in the '70's and '80's. Strictly for looks.

1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Started to clean off the Lanolin oil with WD40.

One half done ..........thought an afternoon photo was needed

IMG_3682 crop 2. autolevel copyright resize 2500.jpg

82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
            Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
            Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
            Albums

Comment

Nice looking bike!!

Comment

Thanks. Bike is very good original condition. Maybe a little better than Very good. Everything works, well, except the charging system, i have the components to fix that now
                Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                Albums

Comment

You don't see those bikes at all anymore. You'll have a head turner on your hands. Don't be surprised when people start asking you lots of questions. It's a very classy looking bike. Very civilized!

Comment

NZ didn't get them at all. The bike was imported from Canada by a woman who spent a few years over there teaching. Bike has 13,000klm's on the clock.

Pushing it around to take the photos i was surprised how light it was, easy to get it on and off the center stand. Center of gravity feels quite low as well.
                    Albums

Comment

I think that people who owned these bikes in the states purchased them and rode them into the ground. They just disappeared. The shaft drive GS650Gs are real rare. People loved those bikes, and I haven't seen one in decades. What's not to like, a nice size displacement, and a final drive that had none of the nasty torque problems that BMW's would so often displace in turns, depending on which way you were going, downshifting would lose you 3 or 4 inches of ground clearance. You have got a bike not only rare for your country, but not seen anywhere else either.

Comment

Rarity brings it own problems if/when something goes wrong. I did a lot of research and talked to a couple of people in NZ and Aus as well as the US before pulling the pin on the bike so i knew what i was getting into.

The bike having low K's and reading reviews, I agree, (without having ridden it), the bike has plenty of power combined with reliability, to do what i want to do with it.

Grand-kids are taking up precious bike time.. Joking.................My trip here is a bout them and the bike is secondary
                        Albums

Comment

Did see this for sale in Aus recently. Bit tattered and high K's
                          ad-assets_2022-04_disc 0572-403.jpg
                          Albums

Comment

New stator and Reg/Rect installed. Charging to 14.7volts at 3000 rev.

IMG_4092 resize 2500 copyright.jpg
                            Albums

Comment

First ride incorporating the test ride after the new charging system. More pics to come of where the reg/rec is mounted............. To busy smiling and riding to take them today.
                              Clipboard 1.jpg .
                              Albums

Comment

Working...
                              X