Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED blinkers+running lights+brake lights

1982 GS850L

Yesterday I finally fixed my charging issues (r/r positive connection was loose ) and upgraded my r/r. I have successfully installed an LED bulb in the headlight, no problems. I installed an LED bulb in the taillight - it's not getting brighter when either of the brake switches are activated (it is advertised to have two modes, bright and dim, for use as a braking light).
    So, that's the first thing I need to fix.

I also want to install LED bulbs for each of the 4 blinkers. Two red in back, two amber in front. Come to find out, the original flasher relay and flasher control module won't work for this application.
    The goal is to have the corner lights running all the time, as well as blink when I need them to. I also plan on having the rear blinkers and taillight get brighter when I hit the brakes.

Is this possible without buying a pricey module like such?
    https://www.signaldynamics.com/01017 - Penta Star XP module
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...sku_id=1192723 - Tri Star XP module (this one is cheaper but I don't know if it works with the stock turn signal switch on my bike)

If it's possible - and able to be explained in home mechanics' terms - how?

If it's better to simply buy a special module, which ones work? Am I correct when I say that my bike sends momentary signals from the finnicky sliding blinker switch to the flasher relays, instead of constant (latching-type / push-to-cancel, as Signal Dynamics puts it)?

Thank you

The old flasher relies on current to heat things up and bend them to switch the blinkers on and off. LEDs do not draw enough to make the old type flasher work.
    You can either rig it so that the LEDs draw extra current, which defeats one of the advantages of LEDs, or get a flasher that will work at low current.
    97 R1100R
    Previous
    80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by bernungass View Post
      1982 GS850L
      Am I correct when I say that my bike sends momentary signals from the finnicky sliding blinker switch to the flasher relays, instead of constant (latching-type / push-to-cancel, as Signal Dynamics puts it)?

Thank you
      Your stock flasher unit has a built-in relay to keep it going. The "sliding switch" does send a momentary signal, but it goes to the control unit, which then sends a signal to the flasher to turn it on. When conditions are satified for the self-cancel feature, the control unit removes the signal from the flasher to turn it off. This Suzuki flasher is the ONLY flasher that does this. If you change flashers to be able to use LED signals, you WILL lose the self-cancel feature, unless you do some creative elecTRICKal work.

If you want to also use your signals as tail lights and brakes, it would probably be a LOT easier to use a prefab module like one of the two that you posted.

You could still use your stock sliding switch. There are actually FIVE positions on that switch.
      1. Far left, is spring loaded to return switch to # 2.
      2. Left/center keeps the left signal ON until control unit turns it off or you move it to # 3.
      3. Center. Manually cancels the signal from either direction.
      4. Right/center keeps the right signal ON until control unit turns it off or you move it to # 3.
      5. Far right, is spring loaded to return switch to # 4.

If you look at the wiring diagram for your bike, you will see that there is a constant 'signal' from either side when in positions 1 or 5. Positions 1 and 2 have the same constant signal for the left, positions 4 and 5 do the same for the right. Just ignore the momentary signal that comes from the outer positions. By the way, that is the same signal. It just starts control unit and flasher, the slider controls which side lights up.
      If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
      X