Suzuki GR650 Twin .... sudden no starter turnover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GR650 Twin .... sudden no starter turnover

My 650 has been running quite well for about 3 years. Always starts when cold (with full choke) but slow to warm up and run well. Yesterday, I was riding it doing local errands and suddenly the starter motor would not turnover for the return home leg ... so I push started it. At home, I charged the battery but only got the voltage to 12.6. My charger said the battery was at 90% and was done within minutes to 100%. I turned the key and all the instrument lights came on but then went out as I tried a restart ... and again ONLY heard the starter relay click sound. Sounds like starter motor issues? I removed the starter cover and will try to see if voltage is getting to the motor. If it IS, then the motor needs to be rebuilt or replaces, right? Or some other possible easier solution?

Looking for good suggestions and also wondering why the dash lights went out and stayed off after pressing the starter button !!??
    Dennco2
    1985 GS450
    Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

12.6 might be max for a wet cell non-sealed traditional lead-acid battery, I don't recall. I also don't know what kind of batter you have. So, speaking generally, 12.6 is probably close. Just because your battery takes a full charge, doesn't mean the battery is good. You can take the battery to most auto parts stores and they will test it for free (where I live, anyway).

Not familiar with the GR but, If it's easier to access the starter solenoid/relay than the actual starter motor, you could check the voltage on the battery side post of the solenoid before cranking. See if that 12.6 is making it to the the solenoid. If it is, with key on, then check voltage other starter solenoid post (the one that has the wire going to the starter motor) as you're pressing the start button. And tell us what DCV reading you get during cranking. My guess is your going to get something south of 10v. I think you're battery is probably done. I believe your lights going out and the click from the solenoid when you press the start button to strongly suggest that.

Starter motors can and do wear down and could require rebuild or replacement. But check your voltages first.

Just my opinions. Not an electrician by any stretch.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes put a multimeter probes on the battery post set it to 20v dc press the starter and see what voltage you get as said above ime guessing it will be low I had one that read 6 v well knackered
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Yes, my old battery charger crapped out and was NOT charging properly. I used another slow charger and the voltage went to slightly over 13 volts ... but still only hear a clicking from the starter relay. I have made direct voltage contact to the starter motor and only then does it turnover properly. Bad starter solenoid is only thing left .... even tho I hear the relay clicking?
        Dennco2
        1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Relays/Solenoids are cheap. You can find a suitable replacement at your local Tractor Supply, Home Depot or Lowes.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes, it was a $11 starter motor relay solenoid ... that was bad. I also installed a new brush plate on my starter motor but can't say it ran any better after. Just because the solenoid clicks when you press the button, doesn't mean it is making the full contact to the starter.
            Dennco2
            1985 GS450

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X