Starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum, new to working on bikes and the gs platform. I recently purchased a 1981 GS1100, I rode it home, it needed a jump but I was told it needed a new battery, the carbs needed to be synced, oil change, new chain. Nothing I wasn't expecting. I had parked it for 2 weeks and installed a new battery, the ignition would not do anything, no clicking or turning over of any kind, so I suspected the solenoid could be at fault, I replaced it and still no reaction. I'm not sure if the R/R could be at fault, or if there's a fault in the wiring somewhere, the instrument panel turns on with the battery attached. Not sure if it could be the ignition switch itself or something else I'm unaware of, any input or recommendations would be much appreciated! I would love to see this GS back on the road again, as it once was not too long ago. Thank you all!

Try adding a ground wire from one of the selinoid mounting bolts to the battery. They often need a good ground
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi ,I would recommend reading the stator papers and newbie mistakes. Please keep us posted on your progress. Good luck
      1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

You could just jump the solenoid and see if the starter moves, with a good 12 source. If it spins over, you either have a bad starter solenoid, or a crappy battery, bad ground, you really need to check the whole system.

Comment

Is your new battery fully charged? Does the headlight come on when you turn the key?
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

There's other, simpler things to go over before going into the charging system!

If the dash lights come on then check to see if the headlight comes on, if it does then the next thing to check would be the starter switch, the on/off "kill" switch then the clutch safety switch, all three of those need to be in working order for the solenoid (which you already replaced) to work.

One other thing to look at would be the wiring harness ground, there's a black wire with a ring on it that goes on one of the bolts that mount the voltage regulator. That wire grounds the plate the regulator and solenoid are mounted on, often times it gets moved to another bolt that mounts the airbox, it needs to go onto one of the bolts that go directly into the frame to get a good ground.

If all those check out the last possiblity is the key switch itself. In this case the dash lights come on so it's probably not that but still, if it's not allowing power to make it to the rest of the wiring harness then that would also cause the problems you're experiencing.

All of the above things I've mentioned can easily be checked with a simple test light, if you have a volt meter then all the better. My bet is that it's one of the switches and chances are they need the contacts cleaned up. Go over those first before worrying about the charging system or dumping money into parts you may not need!
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys, but good news, the bike is running somewhat. I had a shop check out the initial issue I was having starting it, and it seems like it was a bad ground/contact issues. Since then I've had more work done to it. I plan on installing the stock exhaust system along with a rejet so it will perform better. As it is now, I've been riding it weekly, taking short rides. Just recently the battery started dying quickly, once it's jumped it turns over and idles no problem, but it doesn't seem like the battery is being charged. So after reading through the forum, I figured maybe my r/r needs to be replaced, I have all my parts for a SH775 mod. I just need to modify the wires to plug into my system. Will I have to replace the stator along with the r/r, or if it's charging good on the meter, should I just leave it be? Thanks everyone for your input

Comment

Originally posted by rowlingleicastone View Post
                Will I have to replace the stator along with the r/r, or if it's charging good on the meter, should I just leave it be? Thanks everyone for your input
                If your issue was your R/R it likely that your stator has been cooked as well. But if you're doing the SH775 mod then you'll be eliminating the main stressor on the stator, being the R/R dumping excess current into the coils to be dissipated as heat. If replacing the R/R makes the charging system work, you could probably get away with keeping your old stator even if it's half-cooked. But I would suggest going through the Fault Finding Chart if you don't want to replace both stator and R/R.
                1981 GS650G - Burnie is ugly but running!

Comment

That stator goes, you'll be buying another R/R. Get a "Electrosports' Stator, they put out 20% more voltage. Their R/R regulates all 3 legs of the Stator. Run the stator wires directly to the R/R/ and the +/- to the battery. This will eliminate about 6 feet or wiring from your harness, and fix all your charging issues. Search for member Nessism​ post on this, he'll tell you the best R/R to get. and the best way to set this up.

Comment

Working...
                  X