1982 Gs 1100 Igniter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 Gs 1100 Igniter questions

Hello folks, hope someone here can help, I have lost all spark on my bike, oddly it fired up beautifully warmed up, sat ticking nicely, so I turned it off ….left it five minutes and now nothing. So here is what I have done. New plugs, new coils, second hand but are reading within specs on primary and secondary, I’ve checked the pick up coils and they too are within specs, I have replaced the ignitor, checked earths and leads, I checked the plug caps, they were reading 9k so put some new 5k caps on, I have 12 volts at the coils, on the orange and white wire, I should say that the system is non mechanical advance, and an 8 wire ignitor, so here is my first question I also have power down both the white and black/yellow wires coming from the coils, when the ignition is on…is that normal ? Question two…should the ignitor casing be earthed to the bike as well as the black and white wire coming from it? I don’t know what else to check as all other electrics are fine, lights,horn, kill switch etc.
    The valve shims have been done and the carbs rebuilt. It is definitely a spark issue, or lack of spark ! So what causes total failure of the ignition system ? Any help appreciated thanks.

the igniter could be the issue, they are not extremely reliable.

Throwing parts at a problem complicates things ... you have introduced
    new variables to a troubleshooting situation, making it harder.

Is this the 8-valve GS1100, or the 16-valve aka GSX1100 ?

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by simonk View Post
      so here is my first question I also have power down both the white and black/yellow wires coming from the coils, when the ignition is on…is that normal ?
      When the ignitor pulls the coil to ground to charge up the coil primary you would only see a few volts on the coil wire going to the ignitor.
      (The coil would consume most of the available voltage.)

When the ignitor release the coil ground to discharge the coil you would see near battery voltage on the coil wire going to the ignitor.
      (The coil is turned off so you would see open circuit voltage since no current is flowing through the circuit.)

Originally posted by simonk View Post
      Question two…should the ignitor casing be earthed to the bike as well as the black and white wire coming from it?
      The ignitor casing does not need to be grounded as the B/W wire provides the ground for the ignitor electronics (as well as the path to ground for the coil primary when the ignitor grounds the coil).​
      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

A failed R/R can cause high charging voltage, and that can take out the ignitor.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you all for your sage comments, I know just chopping bits in and out is not the solution. There was method working back from the plugs, then caps then leads, coils etc. I have her running now and s voltage check across the battery is giving me 18 volts, so I swapped out the reg rec and I still have 18 volts, so I have checked the ohms and continuity to earth (or lack of) on the stator, and they were within spec, I will try another reg rec, if you any ideas i would appreciate it.thank you.

Comment

Do not run it any more with 18Volts! You're right on the teetering edge of destroying your ignitor, and I'm surprised it's survived thus far.
            You need the Miracle of a Series reg-rec, the Holy Grail of an SH-775.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

This is not the way:
              " 18 volts, so I swapped out the reg rec and I still have 18 volts, so I have checked the ohms and continuity to earth (or lack of) on the stator, and they were within spec, I will try another reg rec,"

This is the way:
              "Do not run it any more with 18Volts! You're right on the teetering edge of destroying your ignitor, and I'm surprised it's survived thus far.
              You need the Miracle of a Series reg-rec, the Holy Grail of an SH-775."

Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

understood thank you

Comment

There's been enough written on this site about using a genuine Shindengen SH-775 R/R as a replacement for stock that's it's hardly worth thinking about doing anything else. Yes, you can read the stator papers, and pour through thread after thread about shunt vs. series and mosfet vs. blah-blah-blah. The write-up linked in my signature re: my charging system is pretty thorough, and fairly typical, if you want something to read.
                  Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 05-05-2023, 07:27 AM.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                  Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
                  X