84 gr650 can't find parasitic draw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

84 gr650 can't find parasitic draw

There is a large parasitic draw that boiled the battery when I left it connected overnight. I measured the draw at over 5ma. The draw went away when I pulled the main fuse. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks

Just to narrow the search area down, pulling which 10 amp fuse makes the draw go away?

Duh, never mind.

Maybe try unplugging the R/R to see if that eliminates the draw.
    And then try unplugging the ignition switch connector to see if the draw goes away.
    Last edited by pdqford; 05-03-2023, 02:54 PM.
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I'll give those a shot

Comment

Something isn't right, you can't boil a battery by draining it dead. You can only boil it by overcharging it. And while these old bikes should have zero current draw when off, 5mA (0.005 A) is not enough of a draw to cause any issues outside of a low/dead battery after weeks of sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          Something isn't right, you can't boil a battery by draining it dead. You can only boil it by overcharging it.
          That's exactly what I was thinking.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I did not understand this post. I understood yours Rob S.​ but not the original one.

Comment

What? You need to shut the kettle off after it boils!

Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Working...
              X