1981 GS550 starter dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS550 starter dead

Hi, I am new to the forum as I just purchased my 1981 GS550E 3 weeks ago.

Its been running great as it had an engine overhaul 1000 miles ago.

Its been standing in my garage a week and today when I pressed the starter button, nothing, no clicks or anything. The battery is good, checked at 12.5v.

The bike has a chinese immobiliser fitted before I purchased it, so I dont know whether to remove that, but dont have a diagram for it. Attached is an image of it.

Not too mechanically minded with bikes after not owning one for 40 years! Not too sure where to start.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I'd try and rule out little things first like the kick stand switch or maybe the starter relay. Check for voltage on the large wire going from the relay to the starter motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat_Scat View Post
      I'd try and rule out little things first like the kick stand switch or maybe the starter relay. Check for voltage on the large wire going from the relay to the starter motor.
      Or the clutch switch.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks. The kickstand switch seems to be working as it lights up on the display. Looks like the clutch switch has been removed at some time.
        I will check the relay today.

Comment

Engine turns over when I put a live to the starter solenoid. Not getting a 12v switched supply to the solenoid. Peeled back the wiring at the handlebars and there are quite a few joins. Dont seem to be getting continuity down the yellow/green?

Comment

try checking out some of the wiring diagrams on bikecliff's website. couldn't see one for a 550 but there is a 450 which might help you trace back some wires.

Comment

Working...
            X