Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing works, though i got power everywhere

Greetings..

I have an 85 GS550EF... the steering bearing went out. I had to pull the wiring hardness back through the frame to change that bearing, then re did the fork seals. The motor was bleeding oil badly from the head gasket, and I pulled the motor out and changed the rings, the head gasket, adjusted the valves, and put the motor back in (easy to write, but it was a pain in the butt to do it mostly on my own).

When I got everything back together...... I turned the key, and the neutral light came on. I have power to every single point that I am supposed to, but nothing works. I know this is going to be a one wire fix, just cant locate where the ground has been dropped off..

one thing I did notice...and I am an electrician, class A contractor, 25 years, 40 years experience...but DC voltage is something I am not familiar with.

The fuse box has on the bottom below the fuses a positive screw and a negative screw....

I put a test light on the negative screw with the key turned on, and the test light goes bright on the negative screw. If I unplug the fuse harness from the fuse block and put the tester on the negative (black/white) wire on the harness by the fuse box, I get nothing.... but when I plug the harness into the fuse box, the light lights up when I touch the negative screw.

Of course, this has me thinking it merely indicates a complete circuit situation...

Again, nothing work, horn dont blow, starter wont turn over... nothing, lights wont come on, just the green neutral light......

any ideas..suggestion?

Originally posted by timbaux View Post
    Greetings..

I have an 85 GS550EF... the steering bearing went out. I had to pull the wiring hardness back through the frame to change that bearing, then re did the fork seals. The motor was bleeding oil badly from the head gasket, and I pulled the motor out and changed the rings, the head gasket, adjusted the valves, and put the motor back in (easy to write, but it was a pain in the butt to do it mostly on my own).

When I got everything back together...... I turned the key, and the neutral light came on. I have power to every single point that I am supposed to, but nothing works. I know this is going to be a one wire fix, just cant locate where the ground has been dropped off..

one thing I did notice...and I am an electrician, class A contractor, 25 years, 40 years experience...but DC voltage is something I am not familiar with.

The fuse box has on the bottom below the fuses a positive screw and a negative screw....

I put a test light on the negative screw with the key turned on, and the test light goes bright on the negative screw. If I unplug the fuse harness from the fuse block and put the tester on the negative (black/white) wire on the harness by the fuse box, I get nothing.... but when I plug the harness into the fuse box, the light lights up when I touch the negative screw.

Of course, this has me thinking it merely indicates a complete circuit situation...

Again, nothing work, horn dont blow, starter wont turn over... nothing, lights wont come on, just the green neutral light......

any ideas..suggestion?
    Yeah iirc those terminals allow you to hook up an accessory that you can shut off with the key.
    wiring diagram is in thus pdf
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Broken wiring harness ground... could get everything to work if i jumped the ground with a screwdriver...to the negative battery cable... but it took a bit to find the broke ground. all works now.. runs great... everything is working. i knew it was the ground but it took a while and a lot of peeling back the harness sheathing to find it.

Comment

Felt "good" whey you found it, didn't it? Congrats.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Overjoyed!
          ~ i I knew it was a ground..

Comment

Working...
          X