LED H4 headlight bulbs - bizzare workings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED H4 headlight bulbs - bizzare workings

I have some eBay .... H4 led headlight bulbs. They work but in the most bizzare fashion. Basically the flash won't work and hi and low are the wrong way round ?
    (Read on as this is not sk simple )

A few years ago I came up against exactly the same problem I am having now. I gave up and went back to halogen bulbs that work.

Assume this on my GSX (But was same on my GS550)

​​​​​​- my old halogen bulb works fine. I have a side light and the halogen which works with the correct switching on hi and low beam and flash. No probs.

- I add the new led.
    Result : The Side light is seperate of course .
    Hi and low are the wrong way round !!! And flash does not work.
    ​​​​​when I say they are the wrong way round it is at the switch . Hi beam = low beam and low beam = high beam.
    I leave the earth wire and swap the other two round and then there is no low beam.

No matter where I put the wires I can't get them to work. I can make the halogen work fine every time.

So now I have the led in . Side light ok. High and low beam the wrong way round and no flash.

How is this possible when the bulb works fine attached to a battery only ?

I am the worst at electrics but I have never ever yet got a single led bulb to work on any vehicle. What on earth am I doing wrong ?
    UKJULES
    ---------------------------------
    Owner of following bikes:
    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Have you upgraded your R/R ?
    If not, replacing the H4 with LED is a bad idea.
    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
    Bikecliff's website
    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Why ? Surely using less power it will be better ?
      UKJULES
      1980 Suzuki GS550ET
      1977 Yamaha RD 250D
      1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
      1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

No, oversimplified : the oldfashioned R/R makes the genny work fulltime so both RR and generator get hot.
        The power not used loops back into the generator, making it even hotter.
        So the more power you use, the better. Always drive with the lights on.

That's an issue with the H4 bulbs already, but if you mount less consuming LED lights,
        the generator and RR will get even hotter.
        It will hasten the end, sometimes the generator, sometimes R/R, or both.

Modern R/R like a Compufire or Shindengen SH775 run cool and protect the generator.
        Lots of threads on that, here.

The original setup can work well, but not if less power is consumed.
        Not many here agree with me on that btw .. most will say mount a SH775 and be done with it.
        And unless you keep the oil level perfectly topped up and take very good care of connectors, wiring, etc,
        they are right.
        Last edited by Rijko; 07-03-2023, 05:28 PM.
        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

Comment

Read up on stock Suzuki Voltage regulators. In short, they only regulate one leg of the stator, the two other legs are rectified, but swing up and down depending on the load. It was really bad electronic engineering. Many bikes were junked because of this easy to fix problem. Many stators burned up unnecessarily from the inductive counter electromotive force. The best way to upgrade is to get a rectifier/regulator that works on all 3 legs of the stator, then just run the positive and negative output straight tot he battery. I used a R/R off an old Yamaha XS1100, as it was massive, had huge cooling fins, and did a full rectification and regulation of all three legs of the stator. 10 years on, it's still working great.

Comment

I'm surprised that the Hi/Lo is reversed as the H4 pinout is standard.

I've just fitted an H4 LED that I purchased through Aliexpress and the improvement over halogen was night and day. The bike has an uprated RR and the light switch alternator phase cut-off has been deleted. Running either your headlight or daytime running lights during daylight is mandatory here in NZ. The LED bulb I chose had a draw of 55W. This was on purpose, as I wanted to ease the heat load on the RR by keeping the current draw close to that of the standard Halogen. Of course the upside extra lumens, stated at 15,000, but who knows? It certainly is bright.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
            ​​
            Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

If you do "the fix" on your bike, you won't have to worry about what you run. The C.E.M.F. (CounterElectroMotiveForce) caused by the the inductive feedback from the horrid design is what will eventually cook your stator if you just keep it stock. So much has been written on it, the debate goes into which Regulator/Rectifier to use, there is no argument that it needs to be fixed.

Comment

I see..... I thought it was gonna be simple .....
                I have been round the sh775 regulator fix before. Of course I should have one on all my bikes but cost prevents me.
                As I have not even started the bike with the new led in I'll go back to halogen.
                I am glad I asked now.

It is still damned annoying how I cannot get a led bulb to even work in the bike.
                This no longer matters but how on earth can there be no flash and hi and low are reversed.
                The above having changed the back of connections on bulb around.
                3 prongs from bulb and three wires to loom. the bulb must be internally
                different to cause this.
                And this having it work connected direct to a battery away from the loom.

I give up on that as more pressing issues and that I will never use led bulbs.

(could it be that the bulbs are cheap eBay rubbish ?)
                UKJULES
                1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

Originally posted by ukjules View Post
                  (could it be that the bulbs are cheap eBay rubbish ?)
                  Yes, lots of rubbish around.
                  Though the pinout usually works.

Another 2 possible issues with H4 LED lamps :

* Heat. quality LED lamps have some sort of heatsink, so the LED does not overheat.
                  The cheap ones have the LEDs soldered on without one, reducing lifespan drastically.

* Effective light beam.
                  The H4 headlight reflector is designed to work with a H4 bulb, reflecting light so it ends up as a nice beam
                  in front of your bike.

The cheap H4 LED lamps cast light in a different way so unless specifically designed to not only FIT in a H4 fitting
                  but also cast light like a H4 bulb, you may end up with a beam that does not project a nice beam in front of your motorcycle.
                  The cheap ones will fit but are not designed to work with a H4 reflector.
                  The result may be that you blind other traffic, and although the bulb produces more lumen, you see less than with a H4 bulb.

That's why this topic comes up regularly and most advice will be for the more expensive lights ... you get what you pay for i guess.
                  Last edited by Rijko; 07-14-2023, 10:21 AM.
                  Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                  VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                  Bikecliff's website
                  The Stator Papers

Comment

Understood. Take it that mine were cheap rubbish the cheapest I could find ....
                    UKJULES
                    1980 Suzuki GS550ET
                    1977 Yamaha RD 250D
                    1982 Kawasaki GPZ 750 R1
                    1980 Suzuki GSX 250E

Comment

SH775 and a Truck-Lite. Best money I ever spent on my bike.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Back to what Rijko mentioned, thinking halogens are "reflective" and LEDs are "projective", totally different, need correct light housing for the light you use. A thought, for our old GS's. The orig. H4's were 65/55 W bulbs, you can get H4 halogen bulbs with higher wattage, like 100/80 W, (normally advertised for off rd. use only) way brighter than orig. Disappointing I've not found a higher watt bulb that was higher (brighter) on Hi, and still 55 W (not brighter) on Lo. I've never wanted nor needed a brighter Lo, I'd rather not blind the folks I'm meeting at 60mph, 6' to my left.... Have been running higher watt for yrs. with no problems.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X