83 550L spark plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 550L spark plugs

For my first post on the forums, I’m hoping to get some help locating some spark plugs for my ‘83 GS550L. Some parts warehouses are saying that the plugs are an NGK D9EA type, but I can’t find any on Amazon for less than $44cdn apiece. Anyone know similar plugs that will work or drop-ins? I’ll try to get some pictures of the plugs in another post soon. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Welcome to GSR, try google, NGK D9E cross reference chart. Back in the day NGK or Nippon Denso were the most popular for our bikes, but I don't remember hearing of any bad ones.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Ngk D9ea is oem stock.
      or Nippon denso X27es u
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

A few sellers on eBay have them…..maybe $16 for four
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Robyle3 View Post
          For my first post on the forums, I’m hoping to get some help locating some spark plugs for my ‘83 GS550L. Some parts warehouses are saying that the plugs are an NGK D9EA type, but I can’t find any on Amazon for less than $44cdn apiece. Anyone know similar plugs that will work or drop-ins? I’ll try to get some pictures of the plugs in another post soon. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!
          Go to Canadian tire. Call cos their website and inventory control is crap
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

I think 9s may be discontinued. Ive used d8ea without issue though many plug replacement intervals.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

cheap enough and unlike Amazon probably not counterdeit
              1983 GS 550 LD
              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

There's been talk of counterfeit NGK's out there, I personally know nothing about them. Could be worth another Google., think I'll do it now.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Wow thanks soo much for the responses everyone! Definitely going to try that fortnine link. Had no idea about the counterfeit plugs. All that effort to nab a few dollars from someone lol

Comment

yeah i know, have been bit by fake NGK B8ES spark plugs.
                    Would fail several within a couple thousand miles, sometimes 100 miles.
                    Was looking at everything on my bike and when the box of 10 (fake) B8ES
                    plugs was done i put in some 20 year old used ones i had laying around.
                    Problem solved, but it made me look for issues with the plugs and only then found out
                    there were fakes around ... and a lot of them, too.
                    Quite simple to spot the fake ones when you know what to look for ... lesson learned.
                    Last edited by Rijko; 07-14-2023, 05:06 PM.
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                      yeah i know, have been bit by fake NGK B8ES spark plugs.
                      Would fail several within a couple thousand miles, sometimes 100 miles.
                      Was looking at everything on my bike and when the box of 10 (fake) B8ES
                      plugs was done i put in some 20 year old used ones i had laying around.
                      Problem solved, but it made me look for issues with the plugs and only then found out
                      there were fakes around ... and a lot of them, too.
                      Quite simple to spot the fake ones when you know what to look for ... lesson learned.
                      Well.......what is the simple thing we are to look for to spot the fake plugs?
                      Ron
                      When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
                      1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
                      1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
                      1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
                      1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post

Well.......what is the simple thing we are to look for to spot the fake plugs?
                        Beware of fake NGK spark plugs: 5 step guide how to identify fake vs genuine by NGK spark plugs technical experts ✓

Hey!... Welcome to the first #modmonday of 2020! Today we have a interesting topic about spark plugs. We touched on this a month ago but now with an interesting twist. Counterfeit NGK 6481 spark plugs run rampant online these days and I want to give you my insight to help you keep these out of you
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Almost feel like I should recommend this for a sticky haha. Fake plugs/parts are a bane on restoration and maintenance on our ol’ steeds.

Comment

I've switched to ND plugs. They are just as good as NGK, but easier to find these days.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              I've switched to ND plugs. They are just as good as NGK, but easier to find these days.
                              Just started reading your “top mistakes” thread! Gold mine there haha

Comment

Working...
                              X