Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Triumph adapter, last I checked is $11.40 plus shipping from this vendor:
    Triumph Link Lead, Regulator (T2500676) is used in Starter & Alternator assembly for 2011 Triumph Street Triple, Starter & Alternator assembly for 2012 Triumph Street Triple R and Starter & Alternator assembly for 2012 Triumph Street Triple

There are cheaper, lesser quality connectors available on eBay, Amazon and other places. I went that route initially, then later bought the real-deal Triumph connector.

But, whatever. You don't actually need it. Some folks just put female spade connectors on the ends of all the wires that connect to the SH775 RR, then pot them in w/ a high quality electrical safe goo. Nessism has a special aerospace product for this but I'm sure you could find something off the shelf.

You will have to cut off the original connectors from the original RR and Stator regardless of which aftermarket stator and RR you go with. Get good at crimping. Good crimp tool and authentic good quality bullet connectors can be has at: https://www.vintageconnections.com/ - this is good stuff.

You can, and should leave the wiring that goes into the harness out of your revised wiring of the stator to the RR. (the White w/ Green tracer and the White w/ Red tracer). just tape them up out of the way.
    Oh, nice. My references were these vendors:

If you are looking for Link Lead Regulator - Triumph OEM T2500676 for your motorbike visit Wemoto.com.

Order your link lead regulator from Triumph here, with article number T2500676. We supply original Triumph spare parts for your motorcycle!

Everything I've found on eBay and Amazon is the R/R and the harness, cost more than my initial $40 estimate, or will arrive too late for my taste. The vendor you supplied changes the math quite a bit, though I'll have to see if I can find a vendor I trust that will take a Canadian address for billing...most of the ones I've encountered won't allow for Canadian Postal Codes or provinces.

I'll look into the potting though, that does sound promising if I can get my hands on a SH775 on the cheap.

For the wiring in the harness, is there a wire that returns from the headlights to the R/R that I should look out for? I can only find the two from the stator, the positive and negative, and the ground at the OEM R/R
    Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-07-2023, 05:32 PM.
    1981 GS650G - Burnie is ugly but running!

Comment

Stator and R/R from RMStator have been installed!

Quick test results are as follows:
      1) Key Off - 12.91
      2) Key On - 12.25
      3) idle 1500 RPM - 13.18
      4) at 2500 RPM - 13.25
      5) at 5000 RPM - 12.28
      6) Key off - 12.98​

​​​​​​​

So, good news and bad news!

Good news: Bike runs and charges, so no more drained battery for me!

Bad news: I get to test RMStator's warranty policy! That being said, they weren't shy about it being a warranty claim; when I talked to their customer service line, as soon as I told them that at 5000 RPM it was outputting 13.28 I was told to submit a warranty claim with pictures. So we shall see how this process turns out.

Comment

I had to return not one but two stacked to RMStator for exchange. There was nothing wrong with them except they were the wrong stacked for my bike but the labels on the boxes said they were. They were great to deal with and most apologetic. Poop happens and I didn't get twisted about it. great quality and service and I still recommend them.
        GS550T 1981
        GS850G 1983
        GS650G 1982
        GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Did you wire the stator directly into the R/R, bypassing the factory harness? This is important, otherwise one leg of the stator travels up to the hand control, and then back to the R/R, and the long wire run can over heat from resistance, and damage the harness.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Did you wire the stator directly into the R/R, bypassing the factory harness? This is important, otherwise one leg of the stator travels up to the hand control, and then back to the R/R, and the long wire run can over heat from resistance, and damage the harness.
            Yes, I did bypass the wiring that went up to the hand controls. The overheating harness will not be an issue.

That being said, I did reuse the whole of the old R/R harness to go into the new R/R, including the ground wire that is meant to ground on the R/R's mounting bolts; I've seen some people who've wired the ground up directly to the negative terminal to make sure the R/R has proper grounding, could that be the issue here?
            Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-15-2023, 06:31 PM. Reason: switch 'stator' out for R/R

Comment

Originally posted by rustyspoon View Post

Yes, I did bypass the wiring that went up to the hand controls. The overheating harness will not be an issue.

That being said, I did reuse the whole of the old stator harness to go into the new stator, including the ground wire that is meant to ground on the stator's mounting bolts; I've seen some people who've wired the ground up directly to the negative terminal to make sure the stator has proper grounding, could that be the issue here?
              The stator isn't grounded, so that's not a problem.
              Do you actually mean the reg-rec?
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I would not use the stock wiring. Nessism​ has a great picture and diagram on how to wire these things up. It is the best way to do it.

Nessism.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post

The stator isn't grounded, so that's not a problem.
                  Do you actually mean the reg-rec?
                  Yes, I did mean the Reg/Rec. I've updated the post to reflect what I actually meant. Thanks for catching that!
                  Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-18-2023, 01:37 AM.

Comment

hey all, Im new to the site, just picked up an 81 GS650GL yesterday for a project. The bike was sitting for a long time due to a bad charging circuit so I started gutting it today, cleaned up the carbs flushed the gas tank, drained the oil, etc. I put the battery on a tender for reconditioning and charging and started digging through the circuit, it has a new R/R and igniter unit so that was good to see. I measured the wires off the stator and got on average about 1.6 to 1.8 ohms between each. I forgot to measure for gnd off the battery before I popped open the cover and oil drained, that was a surprise having never dug on that side of a bike engine. Is that a special oil or does it just take it from the engine oil?

I read a few posts about caltric stators on here as well as RM but also saw lots of bad posts off reddit, is it worth just going to fortnine and forking out the 200 for a ricks, Im not sure the stator is toast but it certainly is not the prettiest looking thing?
                    Last edited by LMARJ2434; 09-17-2023, 08:14 PM.
                    My daily fun bike 03 Kawasaki ZR7S
                    My project 81 GS650GL, maybe a racer, maybe a scrambler, who knows
                    My future project 81 GS650G bike in a box

Comment

LMAR,

First, welcome to the site.

Second, this is rustyspoon’s thread to help him deal with sorting out his charging system on his bike. While your issues are relative, we didn’t want to confuse advice for him with advice for you.

I would suggest you make your next post a new thread up in the GS Owner’s Forum introducing yourself and your bike.

Take a look at the top 10 list linked in my signature for lots of tips to get you on your way.

To address your immediate issues:
                      Yes, the Stator swims in oil. You could have avoided spilling any by propping up the center stand’s left side on a 2x4. This and other helpful info is included in my own charging system sorted thread also linked in my signature.

Caltric, Rick’s, and Electrosport all make well regarded replacement Stators. I’ve heard of RM but haven’t read anything about them.

Then, after looking at the links I’ve given you, and using the site’s search function, if you still have questions, please start your own thread in the Electrical/ignition Forum.

Following any advice regarding fixing your motorcycle that you found on Reddit is not advised.
                      Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 09-17-2023, 10:16 PM.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by LMARJ2434 View Post
                        hey all, Im new to the site, just picked up an 81 GS650GL yesterday for a project. The bike was sitting for a long time due to a bad charging circuit so I started gutting it today, cleaned up the carbs flushed the gas tank, drained the oil, etc. I put the battery on a tender for reconditioning and charging and started digging through the circuit, it has a new R/R and igniter unit so that was good to see. I measured the wires off the stator and got on average about 1.6 to 1.8 ohms between each. I forgot to measure for gnd off the battery before I popped open the cover and oil drained, that was a surprise having never dug on that side of a bike engine. Is that a special oil or does it just take it from the engine oil?

I read a few posts about caltric stators on here as well as RM but also saw lots of bad posts off reddit, is it worth just going to fortnine and forking out the 200 for a ricks, Im not sure the stator is toast but it certainly is not the prettiest looking thing?
                        LMAR,

Second, this is rustyspoon’s thread to help him deal with sorting out his charging system on his bike. While your issues are relative, we didn’t want to confuse advice for him with advice for you.

I would suggest you make your next post a new thread up in the GS Owner’s Forum introducing yourself and your bike.

Take a look at the top 10 list linked in my signature for lots of tips to get you on your way.

Yes, the Stator swims in oil. You could have avoided spilling any by propping up the center stand’s left side on a 2x4. This and other helpful info is included in my own charging system sorted thread also linked in my signature.

Caltric, Rick’s, and Electrosport all make well regarded replacement Stators. I’ve heard of RM but haven’t read anything about them.

Then, after looking at the links I’ve given you, and using the site’s search function, if you still have questions, please start your own thread in the Electrical/ignition Forum.

Following any advice regarding fixing your motorcycle that you found on Reddit is not advised.

While this thread is technically for my benefit, I have no problems sharing my experiences in this thread.

During my experience outlined in this thread, RMStator has been great. Their best customer service has been over their CS phone lines but they've helped me with part selection and while anecdotally their DOA ratio is kinda high (One for me, two for Mr.humbucker) they've been really apologetic about it and super helpful throughout the whole process. When I first called about the out of spec R/R, as soon as I told them it was out of spec and how, they immediately directed me to start a warranty claim and to take pictures of my test. After I started my claim, I sent in all the details and pictures and called them 10 minutes later. They pulled up my email, saw the pictures and said, "normally we'd ask you to send the unit back to us for testing and we'd send you out a working unit, whether that's your original or a new one. Since you've already conducted the tests and provided proof, I'll get a new one sent to you immediately and you can return the dud after you get the replacement." An hour later, I got notification from the shipping company that they'd picked up a package that was destined for my front door.

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that they are based out of Quebec, so their business hours are 8AM to 5PM EDT, which translates to 5AM to 2 PM PST and some of their customer service reps have a small french accent.

I would definitely recommend them!

Another plus is that RMStator always provides a set of the plugs that goes from the harness to a particular part. I cut my OEM harness and attached the plugs from my R/R kit to those wires, and the bullet connectors that came with my stator came in handy as well.
                        Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-18-2023, 01:35 AM.

Comment

LMAR,

Thanks, and yeah absolutely Ill go through your links, there is ton of good info on here and did not intend to jack the thread. This is my first older bike and never had to dig through the charging system on a motorcycle before.

​And thanks rustyspoon, I put some thought into it last night and I really should have taken a few more measurements before cracking open the stator, Im going to put it back together to verify a few steps I skipped and likely start another thread. Have some other issues (rusty tank) to deal with first.
                          My daily fun bike 03 Kawasaki ZR7S
                          My project 81 GS650GL, maybe a racer, maybe a scrambler, who knows
                          My future project 81 GS650G bike in a box

Comment

The new R/R came in on Wednesday of last week. The quick test showed better results but not perfect.

Quick test results are as follows:
                            1) Key Off - 12.48
                            2) Key On - 12.21
                            3) idle 1500 RPM - 12.62
                            4) at 2500 RPM - 13.53
                            5) at 5000 RPM - 14.04
                            6) Key off - 12.52

All voltages are on the low side, but still within acceptable parameters. I've been riding it frequently since, and the new charging system has been holding up with no issues. Problem solved! Thank you so much to everyone who has helped me fix this issue!
                            Last edited by rustyspoon; 09-26-2023, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X