Interchangeable cdi units?? Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangeable cdi units?? Help

I'm wondering what types of ignitor(cdi units,ecu) are interchangeable with mine. It's a 82 gs650e chain drive. I'm almost ready to ride this thing for the first time but the ignitor that was in one of the two buckets of electronics is bad. I have the unit from a yamaha xj650 maybe it'll work. I need as much info as I can get please

This website details making an ignitor using GM HEI modules. https://s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/index.html#home

If you have the money, a Dyna S is an even better solution.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The dyna S does away with the stock ignitor? What company should I buy through? Ordering parts via the internet has been a pain in the ass to say the least.

Comment

yes, wiring needs to be adjusted a bit to eliminate the igniter.
        It does use the stock manual ignition advance unit.

From previous threads here it looks like you need the Dyna S DS3-2, although it's not listed as compatible on the Dyna site.
        You could talk to them, real nice people to deal with and the guy i talked to some years ago (Larry Nelson​) had a GS1000 and he knew his business.

Dyna have a 10% discount Labor day offer going now.
        The Dyna S is completely housed behind the ignition cover and uses a magnetic rotor with the original spark advancer, so the factory advance curve is maintained.Dyna high tech coils for Harley-Davidson Big Twins and Sportsters are American made, top quality performance coils. Tested and proven on street, racing, and touring motorcycles for over fourteen years. Dyna coils produce spark voltages in excess of 30,000 volts and spark energies second to none. All Dyna Coils are guaranteed against defects in materials and workmanship.

If you're feeling lucky, there's a cheap knockoff you could try :

Several people using them, some over 2 years.
        Have not heard stories of them failing yet.
        Last edited by Rijko; 09-03-2023, 12:34 PM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

On my '75 CB400F, I just needed the backing plate for the timing advance for the DYNA set up. A solid unit for sure. It was great to get away from points. Some CDI's can work on other bikes, but the power curves rarely match up, so in that sense, they aren't interchangeable.

Comment

I barely know enough about this topic to even talk about it much. I've tried reading all I can but still lost. All I know is I have 12V power until it gets to the ignitor connector and it stops and has nothing after that. I guess I'm going to try and find a nos one or a used one on ebay. Because I'm even more confused now. I just wanna ride and I feel like I'm very close

Comment

By the time they're 40 years old, OEM used ignitors are a bad buy, as they're likely to fail sometime soon.
              If your model has the mechanical advance, I'd buy the Dyna or the knock-off.
              If your model has the electronic advance, Dyna also make a version for that, but I'm unsure if the 650 is covered.
              You might be able to take the mechanical advance unit from another, earlier model, and use the normal Dyna.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

How do I tell if it'd mechanical or electonic

Comment

You'll see the mechanism with springs mounted to the crank. The CDI's can be taken apart by using a 200 degree temperature gun to take out the glue and get to the components. There's a guy on YouTube that shows how to fix a lot of them. I tried to fix one, only to find I.C.'s with no part number, so there was no way to figure out what was doing what. I picked up 2 off of EBAY around 10 years ago for $45 bucks each, before people started charging a real lot for them. On a lot of these, there's a Zener Diode that breaks down, and of course, all the capacitors must be changed.
                  The link below goes to a whole bunch of CDI repair videos, Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli Lawson View Post
                    I'm wondering what types of ignitor(cdi units,ecu) are interchangeable with mine. It's a 82 gs650e chain drive. I'm almost ready to ride this thing for the first time but the ignitor that was in one of the two buckets of electronics is bad. I have the unit from a yamaha xj650 maybe it'll work. I need as much info as I can get please
                    Ebay search for ignition pickup for your GS... After market unbranded units for $40.

Or, if interested, I have a points setup from my GS550 LOL
                    Current:
                    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
                    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
                    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
                    1998 Chevy C2500
                    1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by Eli Lawson View Post
                      How do I tell if it'd mechanical or electonic
                      If you have mechanical advance, you'll be able to rotate the rotor by hand to the advanced position, spring tension will return it to the retarded position when you let go. With electronic advance, the rotor is fixed and will not move by hand or change position relative to crankshaft position.

Comment

If I oder the dyna ignition do I need a new ignitor?

Comment

If I were you, and firstly, knew I had the advancing plate mechanism on the bike, I would order the complete system so there is nos mismatch problem because "so and so" penny pushing accountant decided by tweaking the older ignitor it won't work with the new unit, though they may say it's compatible, secondly, it might not be compatible, or could be on it's last legs. I had an Electronic Repair shop for over 10 years, I am Certified by the State of Connecticut and could open one tomorrow. I would, except that in general I hate customers, and people who get their electronics repaired are the cheapest b@astards in the world. only audiophiles are worthy of attention, (I'll recone, re-wrap, re-foam their speaker cores and charge them phenomenally, but they get back a beautiful sounding speaker that costs them $1000's to begin with, and paying $250 per speaker seems, and is, fair) and the oddball who loves his computer, but has no idea how to fix it (I've never purchased one, I always build mine from scratch).

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and get the complete unit for your bike. If it turns out the picks up are the same, Hooray! You have a back up spare, which you will never need. IMHO

Comment

”If I oder the dyna ignition do I need a new ignitor?“

As mentioned above, the dyna has it own ignitor setup on its own plate. There is a dyna supplied bushing that links the stock crankshaft/ timing advance to the stationary dyna plate.. Make sure you have the stock mechanical advance setup, ….someone might have fiddled with stuff before you!
                            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It was most definitely "fiddled" with before me. I'm not yet sure if I have the mechanical or electronic advance yet but hopefully I will soon figure that one out. I'm not being cheap because I want the bike to be reliable and I want to ride it not work on it all the time. I'd pay someone to teach me everything about these bikes but I do not know who to ask where I'm from.

Comment

Working...
                              X