gs650e Stator + R/R issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Wire your system like this, and test again. Be sure to bypass the factory wiring, other than the red wire feeding into the fuse box. And check the wire for resistance per the instructions.
    If the photo shows the actual condition, with you using a FH020 R/R, you can cross off R/R failure as a possible cause. Those units are bulletproof.

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
    Thanks for the reply, Tried that build and 0.5 volts drop between + R/R and battery. I'll try to open all my connections and clean all contact.

Some pics of my test.

R/R + go to the Factory plug
    R/R - go to the battery -

Using oem stator. 80V between legs
    If I disconnect the - stator output from the battery, I have my +13V bike running idle. When connected drop to 12.5v

Someone have picture of a sh775 or like me a fh020 ?

Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Exactly, with a fuse between the battery and the R/R positive jumper wire.
      Is that a glass fuse or a blade fuse.
      As Nessism pointed out, disconnect that jumper wire at each end and ohm it.
      That fuse may be dropping some voltage.

”f I disconnect from the battery the negative R/R output”
      I’m not sure how much voltage that R/R would be able to put out if it was not grounded.

Take a look at Nessism’s picture. If your R/R is hooked up like that, and the bike is running, the main harness would be drawing current away from the battery AND from the R/R. The bike may be pulling more amps from the battery and regulator than they can provide when under load?

Question for the experts: Just because a R/R is producing X volts, how many amps is it providing?

Last edited by pdqford; 11-03-2023, 08:37 PM.
      Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
      1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
      1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
        Question for the experts: Just because a R/R is producing X volts, how many amps is it providing?

Depends purely on load. Up to the maximum the stator can supply, which in these old ones isn't all that great, about 15A iirc.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

That's mean I'm good ? I'll try on road.

Comment

Working...
          X