83 1100E lighting "Gremlins" have just started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 1100E lighting "Gremlins" have just started

Been working on barn find E. Figured I was about finished the project...until this morning...

Motorcycle has been running regularly, charging properly, all systems..mechanical and electrical operating as designed. Machine is original.

When I turned key off this morning,,,,,,,,I noticed that the brake light was on. Key off, out of ignition etc. Hmmm....removed bulb to (perhaps) prevent battery drain. I started machine and had the "brake light" dash light on steady and the tail light dash lamp flickering intermittently. Shut down. With ignition off, key out too......pulling brake lever or pushing brake pedal.....dash lights up. Visual inspection reveals nothing...darn electricity is quite invisible...smoke excepted of course. Where would an experienced methodical person start to look and test. Disconnect etc? Thank you.

Check grounds, especially for the dash and tail /brake light area.
    Generally, when things go weird it's often a corroded ground point or wire.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Grimly, thank you for your response. I shall go over all wiring connectors, slip, ring, etc. paying extra attention to grounds. I have Deoxit electrical contact cleaner etc. so will ensure no corrosion.

Comment

Definitely agree with grounds. It seems to me that if you're getting lights with the key off that power is getting is getting past the ignition switch or possibly bare / melty wires touching each other somewhere in the harness. Can you simply unplug the ignition switch to see if the problem goes away?
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Began searching / trouble shooting last night. Visual and multi meter checking. I had removed only the 15 amp fuse at fuse block ...thinking it was The main fuse....rest are 10 amp.... The 15 amp connects to starter relay etc. Brake light out......I did re and re the other fuses 1 at a time to check light situation and there is no change. (I was thinking maybe I could perhaps isolate a circuit). I will get back on the project this evening. (I do have good lighting in my garage).

dorkburger, thank you too for your input.
          Last edited by Grand Rouge; 11-15-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post
            Began searching / trouble shooting last night. Visual and multi meter checking. I had removed only the 15 amp fuse at fuse block ...thinking it was The main fuse....rest are 10 amp.... The 15 amp connects to starter relay etc. Brake light out......I did re and re the other fuses 1 at a time to check light situation and there is no change. (I was thinking maybe I could perhaps isolate a circuit). .
            Are you sure that 15 amp fuse was in the correct slot?
            I don’t believe the 15 amp fuse should be connected to the starter relay.
            One side of that 15 amp fuse gets power directly from the battery, while the other side connects to the Output side of the R/R and the ignition switch.

Are there any dash lamps on or the license plate lamp on?

Could pop the headlight out of the bucket and see if that unused brown wire has any voltage.

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

I had that same issue on the 1100G.... it turned out that there is a metal shroud inside the speedo case that goes around the bulbs. It had come unseated & was shorting across the Orange wire circuit somewhere & as such it was jumping power across to the switched circuit.

I can't remember the exact details but I know I chased it for a bit (probably a thread here somewhere) and it was pretty random & frustrating (I'd already pulled apart the loom looking for a short at the neck where it bends when you turn... that's another candidate as well as something shorting in the headlamp housing or the switch housing).

Good luck!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                Are you sure that 15 amp fuse was in the correct slot?
                I don’t believe the 15 amp fuse should be connected to the starter relay.
                One side of that 15 amp fuse gets power directly from the battery, while the other side connects to the Output side of the R/R and the ignition switch.

Are there any dash lamps on or the license plate lamp on?

Could pop the headlight out of the bucket and see if that unused brown wire has any voltage.

15 Amp fuse is in correct spot. I looked at a schematic and it appeared to me that said fuse connected to starter relay.... That said.....my 76 year old eyes may have ..er...fooled me. I will be getting into the actual machine shortly. Only lamp that is on continually is the brake light. Dash enunciator lights illuminate when brake lever or pedal operated. None of the 10 amp fuses affect the light (s) Bucket will be explored. I started disassembly and wire checking at tail section looking for corrosion frayed wire etc. All good. All clean.

The brown unused wire in bucket: I am thinking should Not have voltage? If it does, there is a 'trail' to follow?

pdqford, thank you.
                Last edited by Grand Rouge; 11-16-2023, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  I had that same issue on the 1100G.... it turned out that there is a metal shroud inside the speedo case that goes around the bulbs. It had come unseated & was shorting across the Orange wire circuit somewhere & as such it was jumping power across to the switched circuit.

I can't remember the exact details but I know I chased it for a bit (probably a thread here somewhere) and it was pretty random & frustrating (I'd already pulled apart the loom looking for a short at the neck where it bends when you turn... that's another candidate as well as something shorting in the headlamp housing or the switch housing).

Good luck!
                  Salty, good morning from the other part of California :-) Well...... for sure I have exploring to do here. Will get it sorted..... hopefully without too much frustration. Thanks for responding. G R.

Comment

SOLVED. DISCOVERED SOURCE of ISSUE. Repaired and checked and properly routed and secured and checked again all is A OK!

IMG_20231116_123212.jpg

I started (second time) at rear of GS. Tail Light / Brake Light harness revealed and power wire identified. With fuse installed and of course the Brake Light illuminated, I followed the (4 or 5 wires wrapped) loom alongside rear fender....right side.....mada a left turn in and down toward rear of battery box. Disappeared under filter housing.....light tug on the loom made no difference re the light and the harness felt 'secured hard'. Only way to follow visually.....remove filter housing. As I loosened the 2 bolts at top rear of housing..........yes ...you know the story....Brake Light went OUT. Anyway......removed housing. As photo shows.....the wee white and copper colored wire is the culprit...a victim actually.... of being squeezed between large wire bundle above pushed down by bottom of filter housing onto one of the 2 bolt heads that secure the back of battery box to frame. Wore through tape wrapping... a ground occured..... A check of all wires......the few individual ones and looms too....all are properly routed, clamped, booted etc.

Thanks fellow riders
                    Last edited by Grand Rouge; 11-16-2023, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Feels good, don't it.. Congrats.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Feels good, don't it.. Congrats.
                        It is again a grand day. For sure would rather be riding than wrenching. Feels good indeed.

Comment

Glad you found the issue. A few years ago I was trying to find out why my brake light didn't work from the handlebar lever. Turns out hat a wire had broken internally with no visible external damage.

sigpic
                          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                          -Rusty old scooter.
                          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Rouge View Post

15 Amp fuse is in correct spot. I looked at a schematic and it appeared to me that said fuse connected to starter relay.... That said.....my 76 year old eyes may have ..er...fooled me. I will be getting into the actual machine shortly..
                            I know what you mean. My 85 year old eyes require a magnifying glass to follow some of those wiring schematics.

Good to hear you tracked it down.
                            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Good news. Electrical is always frustrating as it's not very visible except as smoke...
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X