Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPMs increase and decrease with blinker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a bad voltage regulator!

*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ing Christ.

I switched the voltage regulator to a new one and it solve all the problems on this thread. Even the supposed “carb problems”.

the bike is idling and throttling great now!

Comment

Great Kentman, Glad you're up and going and pretty sure if any of us confront these problems in future, we'll remember what you've shared with us... Congrats and thanks... Though I still don't see how spark has anything to do with raising rpm,
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I’m hesitant, but I’ll ask before anyone else does. What new voltage regulator did you use?
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
          I’m hesitant, but I’ll ask before anyone else does. What new voltage regulator did you use?
          Luckily, when I purchased the bike, the previous owner had an extra one laying around and gave it to me. It was in the bag with the tile and registration.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post

Looking forward to seeing your results.

Is the charging system all stock still? Maybe any load on the electrical system causes the voltage regulator to let too much current through overloading the system. It is common for the regulatorsto fail, but usually results in a cooked stator and overcharged battery, not what you're describing.
            You were right!

thank you for your help.

I really appreciate everyone’s help in this issue. Thank you all!

Comment

Kentman,
              Good to hear you figured it out.
              Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
              1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
              1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

That's great, Kentman, how weird though. Like Rich asked, which regulator did you use? There are a few that will work, some (or one in particular), are better than others.

So glad you got it running!!

Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

So basically what was happening is the voltage regulator was not working. Yes. But why were the RPMs going up every time I engaged and electrical system on the bike?

I think what was happening was when I tried to throttle up the bike, the coils and spark plugs weren’t receiving enough voltage to increase the RPMs. But, at the same time, the bike was still getting adequate fuel and air through the carb.

When I engaged the brakes or the blinkers the voltage would increase to my coils and spark plugs and cause RPMs to increase and the engine to rev up ( or in case of the blinkers, rev up and down).

But it wasn’t just the coils and spark plugs receiving the extra voltage that increased my RPMs, it was also because my carb throttle valves were adjusted to idle in high RPMs.

so, when the voltage increased, the system had enough fuel and air mixture to increase the RPMs.

does that make sense?

Comment

You need a bigger explosion in the cyl. to make the piston go down faster, to increase the rpm. I've always thought all the spark does is ignite the fuel, once the fuel is ignited, neither a weaker nor stronger spark would affect the speed nor power of the combustion of the fuel air mixture... Heck, you could put 5 spark plugs in a cyl. to ignite the fuel but I don't think it would affect the speed nor power of the combustion... Kind'f like putting 4 blasting caps in a stick of dynamite, the explosion would be the exact same as when using only one.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Kentman7 View Post
                      So basically what was happening is the voltage regulator was not working. Yes. But why were the RPMs going up every time I engaged and electrical system on the bike?

I think what was happening was when I tried to throttle up the bike, the coils and spark plugs weren’t receiving enough voltage to increase the RPMs. But, at the same time, the bike was still getting adequate fuel and air through the carb.

When I engaged the brakes or the blinkers the voltage would increase to my coils and spark plugs and cause RPMs to increase and the engine to rev up ( or in case of the blinkers, rev up and down).

But it wasn’t just the coils and spark plugs receiving the extra voltage that increased my RPMs, it was also because my carb throttle valves were adjusted to idle in high RPMs.

so, when the voltage increased, the system had enough fuel and air mixture to increase the RPMs.

does that make sense?
                      No.................
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Kentman7 View Post

?
                        That’s where I was trying to go, especially when I noticed that the R/R and the ignitor shared the same ground.

Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Working...
                        X