Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two bad SH775???

Hello,

I replaced my old RR a couple of years ago on my 1979 GS1000 with an SH775 purchased as an Indian scout take off from a seller on eBay. After doing the swap everything was peachy until I noticed that my battery would die every couple of weeks. I eventually found that each leg of my stator was pulling about 0.08 amps through the SH775. I replaced my RR with another used Indian scout SH775 from eBay and had the same result. The SH775 is wired very simply positive direct to battery, negative direct to battery and each stator leg plugged in. Have I gotten two bad SH775 with failed diodes ? Or do I need to ad a relay to disconnect power to the RR when the bike is off? If I do in fact have two bad SH775 , where is the best place to get one that I can be sure is good?

thank you for your time!
    1979 GS1000E
    2014 DL1000A

What does "I eventually found that each leg of my stator was pulling about 0.08 amps" mean?
    Stators don't PULL, they push.
    What is the AC output of the stator?

Comment

Originally posted by bitzz View Post
      What does "I eventually found that each leg of my stator was pulling about 0.08 amps" mean?
      Stators don't PULL, they push.
      What is the AC output of the stator?
      Hi Bitzz,

I mean that with the motorcycle off , and an amp meter between the positive battery positive post of the battery and the positive terminal on the RR I witness a .08 amp draw when each leg of the stator is connected to the RR. This results in a parasitic draw while the motorcycle is not running and a dead battery relatively quickly.

I think that the problem is that my windings are grounding. Thus a bad stator.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’ll check stair continuity to ground and replace the stator if that’s the case.

1979 GS1000E
      2014 DL1000A

Comment

I buy, test, and resell SH775's to the gang here, and I've never seen a bad one. Mind you, I don't test parasitic draw, but then I didn't know that's a thing with an R/R. Anyway, good luck with your bike. I suspect, it's related to the stator or your wiring somehow. This is how I recommend you wire everything...

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The reg/rec isn't isolated from the battery by the ignition switch. So is always live when the battery is connected. Here's the diagram from a Suzuki manual

If you have an parasitic draw measurable between the battery +ve and reg/rec this is likely due to bad (pair of) diodes. For current to even get to the stator (if there were a short there) from the +ve pole of battery it would have to pass the wrong way via a bad diode in the reg/rec.

​​​

Testing the diodes is pretty easy.

Last edited by KiwiAlfa156; 12-06-2023, 06:11 AM.

"Johnny the boy has done it again... This time its a scrubber"
          ​​
          Darryl from Kiwiland

1982 GSX1100S Katana 1982 GSX750S Katana 1982 GS650G Katana

Comment

Don't believe in co-incidence and the SH775 are fairly bulletproof.
            Are any aftermarket accessories fitted to the bike?
            Do the drain test again, this time removing each fuse in turn and see if removing one makes a difference.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X