Aftermarket Ignition fitted to GS650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Ignition fitted to GS650

I diagnosed my newly acquired 81 GS650 with a bad igniter. The bike was only firing on the outside cylinders (1and 4). In my search for an easy fix, I had found used igniters for around $100 or an aftermarket new igniter for $200.

The aftermarket Dyna type ignitions only appeared to fit most GS bikes with the exception of the GS650. I was informed on this forum that the reason was that only the 650 has the oil pressure switch housed at the bottom of the ignition plate and could be modified for fitment on a 650.

I got the DS3-2 ignition (my 650 has the ND ignition) for $60 and cut the 1/2 moon out from the bottom of the DS3-2 ignition plate, fitted and now have a proper running GS650. It is a pretty easy mod.

Here is a pic of the plate and the required modification. You will also need to run another wire down to the ignition for switched 12v power for the pickups.

Some of us run a 12v relay so battery power can be supplied directly to the coils/ignition, bypassing the original wiring harness. Use the original 12v source for the relay switch wire.
    That Dyna ignition sucks the power... ask me how I know.
    Add 3 ohm coils and who let the smoke out...

There are ignitors out there for $50 on Ebay as I am fixing to install one this weekend, write up will follow soon after (reference the dyna voltage issue above, face palm)

The pick-ups are adjustable and need to be gapped away from the rotor. I gap mine at .030"
    I set my timing with the 1-4 pick-up by moving the plate and then adjust timing for 2-3 by moving the pick-up itself.

You did a excellent job modifying that plate and KSHE rocks !!!
    Current:
    1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
    1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
    1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
    1998 Chevy C2500
    1999 Rav4

Comment

Originally posted by unfocused View Post
      Some of us run a 12v relay so battery power can be supplied directly to the coils/ignition, bypassing the original wiring harness. Use the original 12v source for the relay switch wire.
      I recommend this modification regardless of coils/ignition. With ~40 year old wiring I’ve seen as little as 9v at the coils, and a very weak spark at the plugs.

After adding the relay, and essentially full voltage to the coils, you get a nice big fat blue spark!
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      2014 BMW F800GSA | 1981 GS850GX | 1982 GS750T (now the son-in-laws) | 1983 GS750ES | 1983 Honda V45 Magna (needs some love) | 1980 Yamaha GT80 and LB80 "Chappy" | 1973 and 1975 Honda XL250 projects

Comment

Originally posted by mikerophone View Post

I recommend this modification regardless of coils/ignition. With ~40 year old wiring I’ve seen as little as 9v at the coils, and a very weak spark at the plugs.

After adding the relay, and essentially full voltage to the coils, you get a nice big fat blue spark!
        I had less than 9 volts at my coils with the bike running... Chased down an ignition issue with the Dyna S that ended up having a bad pick up. I'm in the process of also running relays for the lights as well. Still seeing less than 12v at the instrument cluster with the lights on. 14.5 with them off...

Current:
        1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
        1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
        1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
        1998 Chevy C2500
        1999 Rav4

Comment

Working...
        X