Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No charging voltage on gs850gl

Hello,

I am not getting charging voltage on my 1982 suzuki gs850gl. I have already replaced the stator and rectifier both with the wild boar brand on parts giant. I get 90 volts AC between the stator wires at 5k rpm across each pairing. Also while the stator is unplugged each wire is showing AC voltage to the negative terminal of the battery. Once they are plugged into the rectifier it drops to 6 volts ac at 5k for each pairing. I have tried wiring the red and black wires from the stator directly to the battery and it still does not show charging voltage so I am assuming the issue isn’t voltage drop related. My best guess is that the stator is grounding, but that doesn’t make sense because the stator is brand new and passes the static test for grounding with 0L showing when testing for resistance between the wires. Any ideas on what could be wrong besides the stator or regulator?

Rewire the system like this and report back...

SH775 Install by nessism, on Flickr
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Checked the voltage between the connections and the voltage drop was at its most 0.31 volts

Comment

Originally posted by doug850gl View Post

….. I have tried wiring the red and black wires from the stator directly to the battery and it still does not show charging voltage…
        This can’t be what you meant to write, can it? This peaked my curiosity, as no stator I’ve ever seen, even the aftermarket replacements, have ever had a red nor a black wire. So I had a look at some of these Wild Boar stators on various sites. Some of them do indeed have a red and black wire in addition to 3 yellow wires. If you bought a five-wire stator, I believe this is incompatible with the GS charging system, which should be wired just like Ed showed in his graphic. Just my $.02.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Yes that was a typo, I meant to say the black and red wire from the regulator

Comment

You mentioned "while the stator is unplugged each wire is showing AC voltage to the negative terminal of the battery​"
            Why are you connecting the stator to the battery? You check stator voltage from one leg of the stator to another leg, not the battery.

You also mention that "the stator is brand new and passes the static test for grounding with 0L showing when testing for resistance between the wires​".

If you are checking resistance from one stator wire to another, you should NOT get "OL", you should get a small number like 0.3 ohms or so. If you are measuring correctly and are actually showing "OL", it means you have an open circuit.

One more tidbit: the AC voltage dropping to 6 volts when the leads are plugged in to the r/r is meaningless. I don't think anyone has ever bothered to check that before. If you have 90 VAC with an open stator, plug the wires in to the r/r as Nessism shows in post 2. Now check your DC voltage on the red and black wires. Note that the stock wiring on the bike has one of the stator wires plugged in to a wire that disappears into the harness, then comes back to the r/r. Do not use that wire, connect the stator DIRECTLY to the r/r.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Working...
            X