82 1100EZ no headlight power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 1100EZ no headlight power

Got power at the Left handle bar switch, no power at headlight plug verified with meter.

if the ground was bad would I still see voltage at the high and low pins? Or could it still be a bad ground. I’m shooting no voltage at high or low pin and I have continuity at the ground pin to ground.

no other issues with electrical, new r/r all other lights and signals work

Originally posted by wilsonsandy07 View Post
    Got power at the Left handle bar switch, no power at headlight plug verified with meter.

if the ground was bad would I still see voltage at the high and low pins?
    Yes.
    Problem could be within the headlight switch or the dimmer switch.
    These pins of which you speak: Are you referring to the pins at the headlight, or the dimmer switch, or the headlight switch?
    Additionally, could you indicate the wire colors of the pins you are referring to, just to be sure I’m following your meter readings?
    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
      Yes.
      Problem could be within the headlight switch or the dimmer switch.
      These pins of which you speak: Are you referring to the pins at the headlight, or the dimmer switch, or the headlight switch?
      Additionally, could you indicate the wire colors of the pins you are referring to, just to be sure I’m following your meter readings?
      So the headlight plug is where I’m getting no power. The yellow and white wires have no voltage during either high or low beam. The black and white for the plug has continuity.

At the left handlebar switch I had power coming in at the yellow/white wire, and correct voltage and white and yellow individually with high or low switch set.

All turn signals and the horn work correctly so I don’t think there’s an issue with the handlebar switch or the 9 pin connector coming off of it.

Also, I believe there is only the dimmer (low/high) switch on this year/model no on/off.

Comment

Originally posted by wilsonsandy07 View Post

So the headlight plug is where I’m getting no power. The yellow and white wires have no voltage during either high or low beam. The black and white for the plug has continuity.
        THE YELLOW WIRE AND THE WHITE WIRE GET THEIR POWER FROM THE DIMMER SWITCH.
        (THE BLACK/WHITE WIRE GOES TO GROUND. SINCE YOU SAY IT HAS CONTINUITY I ASSUME YOU WERE ON THE OHM SCALE.)

At the left handlebar switch I had power coming in at the yellow/white wire, and correct voltage and white and yellow individually with high or low switch set.
        THE YELLOW/WHITE WIRE POWERS UP THE DIMMER SWITCH.
        THE WHITE AND YELLOW WIRES FROM THE DIMMER SWITCH FEED POWER TO THE HEADLIGHT LOW AND HIGH BEAMS.

SINCE YOU HAVE POWER ON THE YELLOW/WHITE WIRE FEEDING THE DIMMER SWITCH AND NO POWER ON THE YELLOW OR WHITE WIRES COMING OUT OF THE DIMMER SWITCH, THAT MAKES THE DIMMER SWITCH THE PROBLEM.

THAT YELLOW WIRE COMING OUT OF THE DIMMER SWITCH ALSO POWERS UP THE HIGH BEAM INDICATOR LAMP SO I WOULD SUPPOSE IT ALSO IS NOT WORKING WHEN THE HIGH BEAM IS SELECTED.
        .".............................

Comment

Whoops! My bad.
          You did say the white and yellow wires have voltage as they leave the dimmer switch, so the dimmer switch is okay.
          I would next check either side of that Of that 9-pin connector to see if it has power in and power out.

Comment

Wait! You better disregard most everything I posted. Your ‘82 is altogether different from my 1980.
            I have no idea what that “Check Panel Control Unit” does that I see on some of those ‘82 wiring diagrams.

Hopefully a real expert will be along soon.

Comment

Working...
            X