79 850g stuck on highbeam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 850g stuck on highbeam

Hello, my 79 850 shaftie developed an issue over the winter, when the headlight switch is on it is stuck on high beam. I’ve removed the handlebar switch, clean contacts with wurth contact cleaner and a diamond file, reassembled and same thing. With this switch being specific for these bikes has anyone else ran into this issue? Bike was in my dry storage unit all winter.
    79 GS850G cruising around western Maine

Yeah, that's the problem with those 850 shafties. Now, if you had the 850 chain drive...

Sorry, couldn't help myself. And I can't help you with your problem. But with the vast numbers of 850s, you should be able to find one being parted out. Good luck.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Odd, did you try a different bulb?
      these left hand switches have different style connectors (under tank) …so a used one might not be plug and play. They surface on eBay all the time.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have seen issues like that several times, the switch not always being the problem.

(ref. below schematic) the "light control switch" switches 12V to the "headlight dimmer switch".
        From your description, that part (ON/OFF) is working.

The "headlight dimmer switch" either puts 12V on yellow for high, or 12V on white for low beam.
        Not both.
        I would start with the headlamp bulb connector, switch on and dimmer set to low, do you get 12V on white, too ?
        You should not have 12V on both yellow and white.

Last edited by Rijko; 05-02-2024, 05:47 PM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
        X