No announcement yet.

Dim taillight Q?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are NOS key switches in Japan but they end up over $200 shipped. I'm conflicted whether I want to get one or work with what I have on the bike.

Comment

I believe the wide band O2 sensor heater had weakened the battery the battery when I was testing. After a good charge the engine off reserve voltage is much better, the circuits through the switch are still a volt and a half lower than the battery. I've cleaned a few connections and sprayed the connectors with electrical contact cleaner. A jumper from the battery + to any of the 3 switched fuses still makes a big difference in the brightness of all of the bulbs. I'll continue to tune up what's there and consider whether I want to spend $200 for a nos switch or do the relay. I like the original key so I'm leaning towards a blade fuse holder and adding the relay.

Comment

Originally posted by Don R View Post
        There are NOS key switches in Japan but they end up over $200 shipped. I'm conflicted whether I want to get one or work with what I have on the bike.
        Relative to the tail light low voltage, its the swtich contact portion of the ignition switch that is the suspect, not the entire key swtich. THe electrical contact portion comes off the bottom of the key switch mecanism.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've wondered about repairing the electrical section. I had a Honda CB750F that had the bottom crumble off the switch, it was just the cover part, so I coated the terminals with liquid tape.
          On a whim I ordered the new switch, I got an ebay offer, which was basically free shipping. I may use the bottom part with the lock cylinder that I have. I'll plug it in and then check into repairing what's there now.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

Relative to the tail light low voltage, its the swtich contact portion of the ignition switch that is the suspect, not the entire key swtich. THe electrical contact portion comes off the bottom of the key switch mecanism.
            Exactly. The way I read the Suzuki wiring diagrams, all the amps being used have to go through the little switch contacts.
            (I hope to use the ignition switch contacts to only activate a relay and let the relay handle the load.)
            Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
            1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
            1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Working...
            X