wire diagram colors not matching with coil - different colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamf4 View Post
    The headlight, tail light, blinkers and right/left control switches are not attached to the new wire harness yet. Would that possibly be causing this issue?
    No...

Got the wire harness pretty much on. some things didn't match up, so we'll see.
    What didn't match up?

describe the difference I.E. the colors-stripes and number of wires in the connector on both harnesses. did you have any connectors left over (if so, describe...)

did you see the wiring diagram on page 68? of the owners manual I linked?

>>> "help me see what you are seeing"<<<
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes...what Mr rustybronco said. Post up some detailed pics and descriptions of your troubles. I can see where they go and help from my '84 GK.

Also, slow down.....don't try to fix it all in a few hours, it's going to take some time and patience. We'll get there and you''ll be riding again in no time.

If I may ask....what specifically caused the fire in the first place ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Not sure how it started, but thinking it was just a short in the wiring under there.

Below are some videos, I also took pictures. Got the harness from jwhelan65, believe he said it was from an 1100g. But it's definatly been messed with by someone before.

In this video, I am showing some extra wiring coming out from around the battery area.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

This one, showing the charred stuff and showing the front.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I did download off BassCliff's link the manual and a colored wire diagram. But at this point.....I don't know.
        Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 09:53 PM. Reason: adding more info

Comment

Replaced all the fuses. Went thru 5 because the second one down kept popping. So, ran out of the 10's and put a 20 in it just to see....now it works.
          There is a reason for the fuses blowing. now you get to find out why.

Not sure how it started, but thinking it was just a short in the wiring under there.
          Because of the high current flow you are seeing with the #2 fuse blowing repeatedly, the cause of the short appears to still exist even after the wiring change. that would lead me to "guess" there is a short in one of the sockets for the lighting, or maybe something as simple as an improper tail light bulb usage. i.e. 1156 in place of a 1157.

Got the harness from jwhelan65, believe he said it was from an 1100g.
          I sure looks to be from a 1982 up 850/1100g.

But it's definatly been messed with by someone before.
          Yes it has.

it looks like some one has added two extra connectors for what might be used with heated gloves or a vest. the eyelet wire (black/white) looks to be a factory ground, but I couldn't see clearly enough where it came from.

In this video, I am showing some extra wiring coming out from around the battery area.
          Those two wire connectors should be the ones for the fuel tank float (sending unit).

Comment

Here is a closer pic of the black wire/white strip. It is coming out of the bottom of the white connector

This is a picture of the 2 wires coming out of the harness further up. One is yellow/black strip the other black/white strip

These 2 pictures show the blue wire coming out with a red wire to a white end connector with a messed up connection for another connector. It's a long line of wire. My finger is pointing to where it comes out of the harness, right before the battery.

Thanks for all the help!!

Comment

Here is a closer pic of the black wire/white strip. It is coming out of the bottom of the white connector
              Looks like someone extended the Reg/rectifier ground wire so they could connect it directly to the battery negative post. I'll double check this info when I get home tonight.
              (not coming out of the white connector. rather it's coming out of the harness leading to it)

This is a picture of the 2 wires coming out of the harness further up. One is yellow/black strip the other black/white strip
              Fuel tank sender wires... look at your fuel tank, you'll find the mates to them.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Looks like someone extended the Reg/rectifier ground wire so they could connect it directly to the battery negative post. I'll double check this info when I get home tonight.
                (not coming out of the white connector. rather it's coming out of the harness leading to it)

Fuel tank sender wires... look at your fuel tank, you'll find the mates to them.
                So you are talking about the black/white strip wire? Yes, it is coming out of the harness there.

Ok, I understand the fuel tank now. Went out there and looked at. Got that down.

What about the other set, the blue wire coming out with the red? Any idea what that is?

Comment

But it's definatly been messed with by someone before.
                  Yes it has.

it looks like some one has "added" two extra connectors for what might be used with heated gloves or a vest.

Comment

Does the black/white wire continue from the bullet connector ? I can't really tell from the pic.

Does the '82 have the kickstand warning light ? Mine is disconnected, I'm not home right now and I don't know what color it is. I'm thinking that white/black wire is for the kickstand. There should be a wire (maybe that white/black one) that runs down to the kickstand. There is an indicator light on the cluster that will let you know your kickstand is down.

The other gaggle of wires, as rustybronco said is for a heated vest or some other widget. Not needed and I'd remove them for now.

I'll take some pics from the same area for you when I get home tonight.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                      Does the black/white wire continue from the bullet connector ? I can't really tell from the pic.
                      the wires that are attached to that white connector along with the black/white go to the thing that is attached to the bottom of where the battery sits. sorry I don't know what that is called.

Does the '82 have the kickstand warning light ? Mine is disconnected, I'm not home right now and I don't know what color it is. I'm thinking that white/black wire is for the kickstand. There should be a wire (maybe that white/black one) that runs down to the kickstand. There is an indicator light on the cluster that will let you know your kickstand is down.

Yes there is. Which one is the "kickstand" There's the one that lifts the back tire off the ground, then the one that you just put to down to park.

The other gaggle of wires, as rustybronco said is for a heated vest or some other widget. Not needed and I'd remove them for now.

how would I do that? Just snip it off at the beginning of it all?

Thanks, that might help.

Comment

the wires that are attached to that white connector along with the black/white go to the thing that is attached to the bottom of where the battery sits. sorry I don't know what that is called.

Yes there is. Which one is the "kickstand" There's the one that lifts the back tire off the ground, then the one that you just put to down to park.

Thanks, that might help.
                        That black and white wire may just be a ground that someone attached. How about a pic of where it attaches under the battery ?

The kickstand is the one on the side that you use to park the bike. The one under the bike is the centerstand. If you look up under the kickstand there is a connection for a wire for the warning light. See....you're learning stuff all the time !!!

I would detach that blue mess of wires where the blue shrink wrap is before it enters the harness. Just unattach it where someone attached it....make sense ?

I'll take the pics tonight. I may not get them posted until tomorrow. The lovely wife and I have some plans tonight.

Hang in there.
                        Larry D
                        1980 GS450S
                        1981 GS450S
                        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

the black/white go to the thing that is attached to the bottom of where the battery sits. sorry I don't know what that is called.
                          That is the Regulator/rectifier (voltage regulator). the black/white is the ground wire for it.

And, make sure to tape it off/seal it well against the elements.

Comment

Do I have to screw the black/white wire to something?

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            That is the Regulator/rectifier (voltage regulator). the black/white is the ground wire for it.

And, make sure to tape it off/seal it well against the elements.

Comment

as posted before...

Patience... it'll get there.

Comment

Ok then, I'll go screw the black/white wire down. Cut off the extra wire junk and since I know now that the others are for the tank that section is all good.

On to the front mess!!

Comment

Working...
                                X