Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS550L Ignitor & Signal Generator test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allow me to issue a correction here. According to PartShark, the ignitor IS still available for 81-82 GS550s. The fact that it's $340 still falls under the "prohibitively expensive" category (at least to me when a $130 Dyna will do the job just great). The Dyna S has a fantastic reputation for quality and longevity.

The reason that I found this factoid is because I checked the fiche; there is only one sig gen fiche for both 81 and 82 GS550Ls. They use the exact same parts: advance, rotor, sig gen, ignitor. Just trying to prove to you that if a Dyna S is going to fit an 81, it will also definitely fit an 82. Your caution, however, is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      The DS3-2 will work just fine with your bike - I installed one on my 82. If you go to Dyna's site you will find it is applicable to your model. The "ignitor", as it were, is built in to the sig gen on the DS.

(OK, Even Dyna's site says 77-81: but there's no difference 81->82. Note that the DS3-1 is only for KOK 77-79)

DS3-2
      1977-81 Suzuki, 550/750/850/1000/1100 four cylinder (ND)

BassCliff recently posted an installation guide for the Dyna S on his site. That was replacing points - but just pull the sig gen and act like you pulled the points plate You can unplug the ignitor and leave it there.

One note from my install: Dyna includes a washer to use with the EI models. Unfortunately, it was a bit too thick and the rotor bound with the bolt when installed (i.e., it could not advance). The solution for me was to sand down the top of the new rotor. You might also try finding a thinner washer if that happens to you.
      AWESOME! Thank you!

You are correct, sir.
      Thank you! I will check first thing today and if no voltage at coils then am I to assume the ignitor is bad? If so I will order the DS unit. Sounds like it is the best route to go.

Allow me to issue a correction here. According to PartShark, the ignitor IS still available for 81-82 GS550s. The fact that it's $340 still falls under the "prohibitively expensive" category (at least to me when a $130 Dyna will do the job just great). The Dyna S has a fantastic reputation for quality and longevity.

The reason that I found this factoid is because I checked the fiche; there is only one sig gen fiche for both 81 and 82 GS550Ls. They use the exact same parts: advance, rotor, sig gen, ignitor. Just trying to prove to you that if a Dyna S is going to fit an 81, it will also definitely fit an 82. Your caution, however, is appreciated.
      Mike,
      I was not doubting you at all my friend. I thought maybe someone had made changes to my bike in the past and that was the cause for alarm. Just wanted to be sure before buying a 125.00 paper weight...lol

Comment

Originally posted by car99r View Post
        I was not doubting you at all my friend. I thought maybe someone had made changes to my bike in the past and that was the cause for alarm. Just wanted to be sure before buying a 125.00 paper weight...lol
        Doubt (or at least healthy skepticism) would be wise: I'm just another one of those faceless voices out on the Internet Can't believe everything you read out here ya know. They didn't say 82 and that's what you've got - I'd trust Z1/Dyna more than some stranger on the dub dub interwebs.

Keep working at it and you'll get her running. Post back and let us know what's up.

Comment

Repair that puppy within a DAY!
          Under $20.00!
          Sheesh!
          PM

Comment

Oh well, I came back and waited for you...no show.

Comment

still, no show, lol.

Comment

FTW!!!

100 post SENIOR, LMFAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by teddux View Post

FTW!!!

100 post SENIOR, LMFAO!!!
                  Sorry. PM sent

Comment

OK, I am a little lost. My bike has an electronic ignition unit. It does not have points and that says to replace points ignition??? This is an 82 model and that also says 80-81? Can I go ahead and go with the Dyna unit and just eliminate my ignitor altogether?

I checked resistance on coils and both are good. I am getting 4.8-5.0 on primary and 14.9-15.0 on secondary.

Will check voltage tonight.
                    You should be getting somewhere around 30,000-50,000 0hms on the secondary side of the coils.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
                      You should be getting somewhere around 30,000-50,000 0hms on the secondary side of the coils.

hhhmmm.... I just ordered the Dyna-S ignition so it looks liek I will probably be ordering the Dyna coils as well. I am pretty sure the ignitor is bad too anyway and even if not it sounds like this is a better way to go in the long run.

Comment

UGH!

Went ahead and spent the money and ordered the coils and new plug wires as well. Will have all new ignition and charging unit now...lmao

So what is one of these bikes worth???? lol

Comment

UGH!

Went ahead and spent the money and ordered the coils and new plug wires as well. Will have all new ignition and charging unit now...lmao

So what is one of these bikes worth???? lol
                          You're not allowed to sell it now. Once you're upside down it's yours forever.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                            LMAO... I may not want to. I had a GS650 many years ago and loved that thing. Very smooth ride if I remember correctly and pretty good speed. Not sure about the 550 but might be a good little bike to just keep around. However I have 2 garages full of them now and really don't need another...lmao

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              In that case, my bike and I were bonded for life the day I bought her

Comment

Parts/Cost list for making a NEW CDI:
                                Copper Clad Board (will do 9 CDI's)....................$7.13
                                Capacitors<....................................... ..........<$2.00
                                Resistors<........................................ ...........<$1.00
                                Small Signal Transistors...................................$0.4 8
                                Final Output Darlingtons..................................$4.12
                                Diodes............................................ ............<$1.00

Total Cost to MAKE a NEW CDI Board...............<$9.39

Comment

Working...
                                X