Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1982 GS550L Ignitor & Signal Generator test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by car99r View Post
    Thanks!

Any thoughts on why I would be getting constant spark to all of the plugs? The spark is very mild until it gets to proper timing point then it lights up real good but I wouldn't think i should be getting anything until the timing point...
    Well, the coils are SUPPOSED to fire both plugs on each coil at the same time. When the timing hits on the F/1-4 mark, the coil fires plugs one and four. But, only ONE of the cylinders will be in the Firing stroke (compression stroke) the other will be in the exhaust stroke, so the spark is sort of wasted (it actually helps burn off any left over exhaust gasses) Same happens with the 2-3 coil. Why you'd have spark on all four plugs ALL of the time sounds pretty odd. Did you mess with your timing plate at all? And did you test your ignitor? (sorry i didnt read the whole thread because i simply refuse to wade through certain posters BS..)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Well, the coils are SUPPOSED to fire both plugs on each coil at the same time. When the timing hits on the F/1-4 mark, the coil fires plugs one and four. But, only ONE of the cylinders will be in the Firing stroke (compression stroke) the other will be in the exhaust stroke, so the spark is sort of wasted (it actually helps burn off any left over exhaust gasses) Same happens with the 2-3 coil. Why you'd have spark on all four plugs ALL of the time sounds pretty odd. Did you mess with your timing plate at all? And did you test your ignitor? (sorry i didnt read the whole thread because i simply refuse to wade through certain posters BS..)
      I apologize for the BS above.

The spark is there no matter where the timing is. However, it is faint but noticeable. I realize 1&4 fire together and 2&3 fire together. Not sure why i woudl have spark on #1&4 while 2&3 are firing?

I have just installed a Dyna S igntion and Dyna coils. I double checked wiring and all seems good.

Comment

Ignition wires are black wire to #2 coil black wire. White wire to #1 coil white wire. Red wire to both o/w wires on both coils fed with power from original o/w white from harness.

Removed the ignitor all together.

Comment

Originally posted by car99r View Post
          Ignition wires are black wire to #2 coil black wire. White wire to #1 coil white wire. Red wire to both o/w wires on both coils fed with power from original o/w white from harness.

Removed the ignitor all together.

Id read your Dyna instructions again... I have one, but i didnt install it, and the person who did had problems when installing it too.. I am not that familiar with the Dyna, but I have read that there are sometimes some problems with them.. You can also call (as the person who installed mine did after fighting with it) Dynatek and talk to a tech there..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Id read your Dyna instructions again... I have one, but i didnt install it, and the person who did had problems when installing it too.. I am not that familiar with the Dyna, but I have read that there are sometimes some problems with them.. You can also call (as the person who installed mine did after fighting with it) Dynatek and talk to a tech there..
            Do you know what problems he had or what he did to remedy?

Anyone know if the green coils from Dyna need to be grounded to the frame or anything different than stock coils?

I have double checked and triple checked the wiring and all seems ok...

Comment

82 550l

I have the same bike.
              (project) are all your grounds connected together? is key switch in good condition.also have a 81 550T w /dyna S worked great till i cooked one side. I think. bad ground rectifire & ridding w/light sw/off. but have dyna III for backup.bought on here 40 bucks. good luck w/problem.

Comment

Working...
              X