Where is my loose wire!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suzu650 View Post
    the first 2 times starting it would rev extremely high right away. now it idles fine but then slowly the idle creeps up.???
    some help with this would be terrific!

Comment

some help with this would be terrific!
      Vacuum leak.
      Either at the engine and carbs or the airbox. There are o-rings behind the carb intake boots that by this time have turned to coal.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

the first 2 times starting it would rev extremely high right away. now it idles fine but then slowly the idle creeps up.???
        Hi,

The usual suspect is a leaky air intake system. Is your airbox installed? Is it properly sealed? Are the intake boots and O-rings good?

Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

thanks for your help guys. Im sure more questions will come tomorrow, stay tuned.

Comment

Running great now. only problem I am having is a little bit of a high idle. how do I adjust this? pictures of where the air/gas adjusting screw(s) are would be excellent! Thanks

Comment

Suzu,

Your "extreamly bright headlight" makes me think that maybe you have a problem with your charging system (in addition to the loose connection problem you had) such that the voltage is way too high, like 15 or 16 volts or maybe even 17.

THis maybe a good time to get a volt meter. There will come a time that you will be glad you had one anyway. And this may be the time.
              BassCliff has a tutorial for "how to check your voltage".

Does headlight still seem extra brite?

I do not remember where the R/R is on a 650G (I had one from 1982 thru 2004), but it is either is underneath on bottom of battery box., or next to the starter solenoid behind the left side cover. Is a silver alunimun thing with heat fins, about 3 inches by 3 inches.
              Follow its black wire. The black wire is what should be grounded. If it is not well grounded it will cause the R/R to not be able to work (even if the R/R is good), and not work in such a way that voltage wil be way too high. That black wire is often connected to the battery box, and the battery box may not be well grounded. Which is one of the reason that folks recomend that you run your own extra ground wire from that point directly to the battery negitive.

About idle speed: there is an adjustment undenneath the carbs, in the middle between #2 and #3. Is hard to see, have to get down and look under there. But once you know wheere it is you can find it with your fingers. That is not an adjustment to adjust the "smoothness", but is an idle adjustment, can think of it as "where the throttle goes when not holding the throttle".

Last edited by Redman; 04-05-2010, 06:57 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Suzu,
                Does headlight still seem extra brite?

I do not remember where the R/R is on a 650G (I had one from 1982 thru 2004), but it is either is underneath on bottom of battery box., or next to the starter solenoid behind the left side cover. Is a silver alunimun thing with heat fins, about 3 inches by 3 inches.
                Follow its black wire. The black wire is what should be grounded. If it is not well grounded it will cause the R/R to not be able to work (even if the R/R is good), and not work in such a way that voltage wil be way too high. That black wire is often connected to the battery box, and the battery box may not be well grounded. Which is one of the reason that folks recomend that you run your own extra ground wire from that point directly to the battery negitive.

About idle speed: there is an adjustment undenneath the carbs, in the middle between #2 and #3. Is hard to see, have to get down and look under there. But once you know wheere it is you can find it with your fingers. That is not an adjustment to adjust the "smoothness", but is an idle adjustment, can think of it as "where the throttle goes when not holding the throttle".

the headlight seems to be fine now. The R/R is on the bottom of the air box I believe, I was wondering what that was. I will have to check that ground wire.

Thanks for the help with the idle, I will play with that too

Comment

Working...
                X