No announcement yet.

Super stator !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 750's charging system works great and I never had to mess with it.

The GK, on the other hand, is giving me an electrical education.

More pics to follow......
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I followed the instructions from post 35 in this thread and guess what ?....

SUCCESS !!!!!

I have 14.5 @ idle and a rock solid 14.34 @ around 3200rpm and up.

I picked up a $6.00 relay from Radio Shack, a fuse holder and some 5 amp fuses. I put it all together as described a it works great !! I removed my tool holder to make room.....it's a GK, I have plenty of room to put things......I zip-tied the relay in place with a strip of old inner tube for cushion. It's stable and not going anywhere.

I'm pretty happy. A couple other issues on the GK, then, it's riding time !!

Here's a few pics.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry can you do a schematic of this mod?

Comment

Originally posted by gs road racer View Post
          Larry can you do a schematic of this mod?

It's pretty easy, really. Just follow the instruction in the previous post. The relay had a "drawing" on it that showed the internal workings of the it and made it much easier. This is the post where I found it. It should help you.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Honestly, I have no idea how to draw something like that.......
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
            Larry,

Ain't life great when things finally work out?

Here's a tip: To protect the relay and the leads coming into it, on the GS550L we cut about 4 or 5 inch section of old bicycle inner tube and slid it over the relay with the connections attached.

We slid it down so it was even with the top of the relay (you can see the top of the relay even with the tube), and wrapped the other end with black tape.

A wrap or two at the relay end just to hold it all securely, and now you have a weatherproof and vibration resistant housing that looks decent. Sort of puts you in mind of the boots at the end of your brake or clutch cable.

If you ever need to change the relay, just slide or fold the rubber tube down a bit and viola!

You've done a good job, but you also want to protect that relay a little from vibrations and heat and such.

I hope this helps.

- JC
            Great idea !! I was pondering how to protect it a little better.

Thanks !!!!
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
            X