Starter problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a bad ground.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

HA ha ha, Ya they were on FIRE!! but I agree, Im going to start by fixing the grounds and ensuring that everything is grounded properly. Hopefully that will fix my starter.

Comment

Originally posted by KRyder13 View Post
        I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out - my GS1100 does that frequently - I hit the starter button and hear the click. I've about given up fixing it - everything checks out as good - and it does it regardless of whether or not the battery is fully charged.
        Ken
        I wanted to give an update on the problems I was experiencing so I quoted myself. A little over two weeks ago I took the right handlebar switch (where the starter button and kill switch are) apart. I found cobwebs and dirt (not dust, real dirt) inside. No idea how that stuff got in there. I cleaned it all out and brightened up the contacts for the starter button, then reassembled it. Have not had a failure since.
        Ken

Comment

startor circuit is pretty simple.

Power goes from the ignition switch to the RUN switch to the Start button. This is all positive wiring.

There is one wire that goes to the solenoid ( yellow)

This is what supplies + power to the solenoid's coild.

IT is grounded through its casing and therefore grounded through the plate it is sitting on which is grounded through the ground wires going to your wiring harness and then battery.

that fire should not have happened period.

So if you where pressing the starter button and you herd clicks then it could be the solonoid or the starter .

Not the start button.

To jump this and get the starter to turn you use a screw driver and connect one of the big posts on the solonoid to the other big post on it.

You should get some sparks and it should turn over.

If not than it could be your starter .

If it does crank than its the solonoid that is burn inside and has to be replaced

If you hear I click that always means that your solonoid is getting power and ground.

the only two possibilities are either the starter is shot or the solonoid has worn out internaly.

Either that or wiring.

Hope this helps
          Last edited by Guest; 05-16-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X