No announcement yet.

Gel battery blew its "do not remove" top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I might be completely wrong here, but I'm going to have to say the green wire is a ground wire and not the sense wire. I also have a duaneage kit and looked at the instructions. The black wire splits into a Y to feed off of the brake light. The green has a ring connector to connect to ground. Check the diagram he has posted in his ad.

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.

According to that, Green goes to ground, and black goes to the brake light.
    -Theo
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      I don't have any contact info except an address. The RR also has an extra connector tied into the black wire. Don't know what that is for either.
      Again, I'm no expert but the black had the extra connection to tap into the brake light (see above diagram). According to your first post, you had the black going to ground as well, which was incorrect. How that affected the charging system, I don't know.

Comment

Hey Theo,

Thanks for the diagram and theories. If the black Y goes to the brake, where does the other side go? Not to the - negative post of the battery? Sorry, I'll look at the diagram again.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Hey Theo,

Thanks for the diagram and theories. If the black Y goes to the brake, where does the other side go? Not to the - negative post of the battery? Sorry, I'll look at the diagram again.
          It splices in. It would make a 'Y' if you will. The bottom part is the positive feed making it's way to the brake light. Then it branches in to two feeds, one going to the the regulator, and the other to the brake light. The brake wire is tapping into the wire that goes to the brake light. There should be a connection close by for the brake light. Take it apart, and connect one of the wires to one of the connectors on the black wire, and then other connector to the other wire. I hope that all makes sense.

Comment

Hi,

With Mr. duaneage's units, the black wire (with the "Y") taps into the tail light wire. There should be a bullet connector on the wire coming out of the rear brake switch. Pull the connectors apart. You'll notice one male and one female. Insert the corresponding connectors on the r/r unit's black "Y" and you have done two things; completed the connection to the tail light and tapped the sense wire into the circuit. There are certainly other places to tap into, any 12v switched source will do. But the brake switch is convenient.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 04-20-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Honda usually uses green for ground. Theo has you on the right track. Hopefully your R/R has survived.

Comment

Some of the confusion has come up because of the original description:
                three yellow wires from the RR to the stator, red to positive battery post, black to negative battery post and another black pigtail to frame, green to frame
                Some R/Rs do have two wires that connect to power and two wires that connect to ground, then a single sense wire. The original description sounded like there were two separate black wires. Is it actually a single black wire into the R/R that then has the "Y" that is supposed to splice into the tail light wire? (Not the brake light wire, as Theo suggests.)

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  (Not the brake light wire, as Theo suggests.)
                  Oops....That's what I meant.

Comment

Single black wire that then has a Y. So now green is ground? Black has nothing to do with negative battery post and goes to brake light entirely?

Bass thanks for the explanation of the black wire, makes more sense now. I won't fully understand until I'm actually connecting the wires.

Steve, my wife tells me I sometimes don't explain things well.

Theo, thanks for chiming in.
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Single black wire that then has a Y. So now green is ground? Black has nothing to do with negative battery post and goes to brake light entirely?
                      No, black goes to the brake switch (ignition switched power) or the rear light if you bike has no light switch, not the brake light.

If it is an ex-Honda R/R the Green wire is ground as that is Honda's colour where Suzuki uses Black/White as ground.

Comment

So now green is ground? Black has nothing to do with negative battery post and goes to brake light entirely?
                        On the Honda r/r replacement units from Mr. duaneage, YES to all the above.

BassCliff

Comment

Interesting all the different explanations. Turns out I was half wrong. Half dumb day.

Matchless, thanks for clarifying green is ground on Honda RR's and Bass for confirming this.

Wonder if the RR survived.

Comment

Ok, so I hooked the "Y" in the black RR wire to the brake switch as Basscliff suggested, one male, one female connector. I started the bike, at idle its reading 16.85 V at the battery.
                            Does this suggest my new RR is toast?

Comment

Hi,

That's pretty high. I would suspect the r/r. Is everything else connected? Is the ground wire from the r/r connected directly to the battery's negative post? Are all the lights on?

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, so I hooked the "Y" in the black RR wire to the brake switch as Basscliff suggested, one male, one female connector. I started the bike, at idle its reading 16.85 V at the battery.
                                Does this suggest my new RR is toast?
                                Are you on the live side or the switched side of the brake switch?

By "switched", I mean that it would only be live when you apply the brakes.

You need to be on the live side, the side that is live when you turn on the key.

sigpic
                                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride
                                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                                X