stock wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stock wiring

i am in the process of doing a total rewire. my question is i see alot of wires going nowhere. can i omit these? also i had a question about the grounding. i read somwhere on here that it's a good idead to run a groundwire instead of just relying on the frame/engine ground. do i just connect allt the grounds together? or make a new one spot grounding?

This might be a start, but if you dont know what is wrong with the stock harness, then how are you going to be able to improve the situation?

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

About your wires "going nowhere", ... you had better find out what they used to go to before, so you know if it's safe to remove them. Which wires in particular are you wondering about?

The chassis is a decent "ground" point for almost everything on the bike. The main concern for a separate ground wire is from the regulator/rectifier. It was commonly grounded to its mount on the battery box (which is rubber-mounted), then relied on another wire to ground the battery box. Best to run that wire directly to your main ground point or the battery itself.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

i am looking at thw wiring diagram. i am going to loose the wire from the stator to the left handle control. to run all 3 into the r/r. i guess they run to ground the more i look at it.

one is the middle wire from the headlight. it's brown. it runs all the way back to a bracket. but nowhere after that. just an example.

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
          i am looking at thw wiring diagram. i am going to loose the wire from the stator to the left handle control. to run all 3 into the r/r. i guess they run to ground the more i look at it.

Stator is AC, so the middle (of "Y" connection) is neutral not ground; that means it is zero potential but ac current is flowing

Comment

Working...
          X