Battery Acid left the battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Acid left the battery?

So I pulled my battery out the other day and noticed that the acid levels were low is this normal?
    The BIKE,
    1982 GS1100GZ
    All stock except for ignition and jets.

Overcharging.
    Do the tests in the stator papers.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Depending on when the last time you check the fluid levels was, it may be normal. Wet cell batteries require topping off every now and then with distiled water. But, knowing the problems these GSs have with their regulators, it's also entirely possible you are overcharging and boiling the battery off. Might check into that possibility. If you're getting over 14.7 volts at the battery at around 5000 RPm when testing, you've got a regulator issue. Other tell tale signs would be acid etching on the battery box, swingarm or anything around the battery area. White chalky residue left behind as well. (looks like bird crap) or if you notice that the paint has been eaten away in odd patterns. Once you are sure you're charging properly (13V at the battery at idle with the brake light on and 14.25-14.50 from about 2K rpm up is just about perfect. See posplayrs thread on FET regulators and coil relay mod) I would invest in an AGM maintenance free type battery. They are sealed and don't require any upkepp other than charging. They also seem to last longer as well. But make sure you're charging issues are sorted first or you could litterally blow the top off of one of these.

Comment

Thanks guys I was guessing overcharging but now I feel confident enought to go ahead and order the stator and R/R.

Comment

Working...
        X