'83 GS750ES Timing adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'83 GS750ES Timing adjustment

I own the above motorcycle and also have the shop manual. Didn't found anyting about timing adjustment in it. Is there a tutorial for this task

no such thing.
    pre-set and not adjustable.

Comment

You used to be able to find 3 & 5 degree advanced rotors but it's hard to find them now. They were a fixed rotor & timing plate from the factory & I'm not sure if you can switch out the stock rotor & plate with the 80-82 750 parts. The ignition mudule may not allow it. What you CAN do though, is slot the 3 screw holes in the ignition plate & rotate the plate to advance or retard the timing. Call me at 714-356-7845 if you need help with this. Ray.

Comment

ray,
        he asked about factory settings...
        he's not looking for top fuel tips!

Comment

There's marks and numbers on the back plate (that holds the 2 sensors). I didn't look if the holes were slotted but there's certainly some sort of adjustment there. Yes in fact I'm looking for original settings. Thanks

Comment

these are pre set and do not change.
            your advance is electronic also.
            as ray stated these can be changed for more advance but the original numbers stay the same when untouched.

Comment

Behind the plate with the two pickups there is a mechanical advance,

Take the plate off and inspect that ,

look for broken springs, sloppy parts or anything that looks bad.

the adjuster should rotate a bit and should feel smooth, the springs should stretch and the weights moving in and out.

Some of the plates with the two pickups had elongated screw holes that let you move it forward or backwards a bit.

Some had that type some didn't .

The only thing you can physically check is if the timing advancer is in good shape.

Also you could use a timing light to see if the timing advances when you rev the engine to whatever the manual says it should advance at..

Ie: @ 3500RPM you get 15 degrees advance or whatever it says,

You can see it moving with a timing light as it rev's up and down.

Nothing else though
              Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2010, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

Take the plate off and inspect that ,

look for broken springs, sloppy parts or anything that looks bad.

the adjuster should rotate a bit and should feel smooth, the springs should stretch and the weights moving in and out.

Some of the plates with the two pickups had elongated screw holes that let you move it forward or backwards a bit.

Some had that type some didn't .

The only thing you can physically check is if the timing advancer is in good shape.

Also you could use a timing light to see if the timing advances when you rev the engine to whatever the manual says it should advance at..

Ie: @ 3500RPM you get 15 degrees advance or whatever it says,

You can see it moving with a timing light as it rev's up and down.

Nothing else though
                FYI
                a stock 1983 GS750E/ES has electronic advance...
                no mechanical advance/springs/arms ect...
                as i stated in my above post.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post

BAD info that is INCORRECT!!! Ignore those with no experience on the questions you are asking! Ray.

Comment

Sorry. my mistake.

Comment

Is there anything to be gained for a street GS750ES by slotting the screw holes and diddling the timing pickup points? I've got two spare sets I can play with.

/\/\ac

Comment

On my 700 i slotted the three holes that hold the pickups and advanced them a bit. I did a little math find out how many degrees I advanced it - which was ~4.

Comment

Advancing the timing (moving the plate counterclockwise) will ad more bottom end & too much can be an issue with low octane gas. Retarding the timing (moving the plate clockwise) will make more top end & take away a little bottom end. Simple as that! Ask Chef what moving the plate too far COUNTERCLOCKWISE will do!!!!!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                            Advancing the timing (moving the plate counterclockwise) will ad more bottom end & too much can be an issue with low octane gas. Retarding the timing (moving the plate clockwise) will make more top end & take away a little bottom end. Simple as that! Ask Chef what moving the plate too far COUNTERCLOCKWISE will do!!!!!! Ray.
                            I think I've seen those pictures of some of Chefs pistons, no thanks! Thanks for the info though, now I've got something else to play with.

/\/\ac

Comment

So is it the same for me? I have an 83 gs 750t? Do I need to adjust the timing or is it all pre-set, only works one way?

Comment

Working...
                              X