no spark all of a sudden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no spark all of a sudden

So I had my forks off to put new seals on. The bike ran before I took them off. But when I went to go for a test ride it wouldn't start. It has no spark. Battery voltage is good. Is there anything in the handlebar controls like the kill switch or clutch interlock switch that may have had the wires pulled that would allow the engine to turn but not allow the plugs to fire?
    I hope to check out the ignitor and signal generator tomorrow. Just looking for other options.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2010, 10:50 PM.

Have you checked the wires under the tank for any loose ones? Did you have to pull on the harness when taking off the forks? Check the wiring diagram for clues would be my first step. Hopefully something as simple as a disconnect

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by vista461 View Post
      Is there anything in the handlebar controls like the kill switch or clutch interlock switch that may have had the wires pulled that would allow the engine to turn but not allow the plugs to fire?
      There is usually a three way plug from the kill sw and starter button from RH switchgear that joins the loom wiring inside the headlight bucket. Check it has not come unplugged. Check your wiring diagram and you will see what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by tlepac View Post
        Have you checked the wires under the tank for any loose ones? Did you have to pull on the harness when taking off the forks? Check the wiring diagram for clues would be my first step. Hopefully something as simple as a disconnect

Good Luck
        I didn't notice pulling on anything on the right/throttle side. But I did have to snake the left side stuff back under/through the fork since it ended up on the wrong side. lol I am pretty sure I have the clutch interlock switch back on correctly. It only lets the starter spin with the clutch lever in. I have the tank off and the fairing back off, and didn't see anything disconnected. But I can look again, just seems like an odd coincidence that one of the igition parts would flake out right now.

Hopefully I find a loose connection ,but that isn't my kind of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          There is usually a three way plug from the kill sw and starter button from RH switchgear that joins the loom wiring inside the headlight bucket. Check it has not come unplugged. Check your wiring diagram and you will see what I mean.
          I will check that out , thanks

Comment

Check for voltage at the coils while the tank is off and the ignition on.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Check for voltage at the coils while the tank is off and the ignition on.
              Have 11.5-12volts at coils.

Comment

signal generator ohms out good, ht wires ohm out good, coils ohm out good, coils getting voltage. Ignitor on coil side has voltage. Multimeter on ohms on the sig gen side of the ignitor does not make spark .

Which leads me to think my Ignitor is shot, which of course is not a cheap part

Anything I missed to check? Or is that everyone else's conclusion as well?

Comment

signal generator ohms out good, ht wires ohm out good, coils ohm out good, coils getting voltage. Ignitor on coil side has voltage. Multimeter on ohms on the sig gen side of the ignitor does not make spark .

If you're sure you didn't knock something loose doing the forks? This makes the most sense if it ran before.
                  If not get a Dyna S.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Your multimeter may not supply enough current when it's in the ohms position. try it again in the diode checking position.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      Your multimeter may not supply enough current when it's in the ohms position. try it again in the diode checking position.
                      Same thing, nothing

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        If you're sure you didn't knock something loose doing the forks? This makes the most sense if it ran before.
                        If not get a Dyna S.
                        Didn't see anything disconnected or pulled out

Comment

Anyone know what other gs ignitors may interchange?

Maybe I'll try that HEI conversion

Comment

Does anything else not work like it has a missing ground connection. looking in the wiring diagram I didn't see a disconnect in the igniter circuit. can you check the voltage drop between the battery negative and the negative wire at the igniter.

inspect for a broken ground wire at the igniter...

link to wiring diag. http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...ice_manual.pdf
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'll recheck for a broken wire at the ignitor. Everything else seems to work, lights,blinkers,starter spins.

I'll check the voltage drop too.

Comment

Working...
                              X