slow starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow starting

Today I was on my way back from my moms house I stopped to get some gas. When I went to start my bike it acted like the battery was going dead and then vroom it fired right up. Is my starter getting to hot or my battery getting to hot. DOesnt do it when the bike is cold only when I've been riding for long periods of time. And it just started this today.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Check your spark plugs and see if you're running lean.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

Bring a meter with you and check some voltages after a long ride.

Diagnosing Slow Cranking

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have had bikes that start just when you let off of the button.

too hi of amp draw from bad starter motor or battery is not holding the load it should.

A hot starter be it from the engine or overuse will present problems at temperature and work fine when cold..

the test is to see if the starter is pulling over 70amps when engaged

normal is like 35~55 and if the battery voltage drops below 10DCV no spark will happen.
        SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Another thing that will cause that on a hot day after a hot ride will be if one or more of your carbs leaks past the float valve seat and causes a partial hydraulic lock on the engine (I've had it happen). I crack the throttle a little then and it cranks up normally and starts. Might check that too.

Comment

my 850 has the same problem.. i have no idea what causes it

1 thing i do know is when it sounds like its a flat battery if i pull all the HT leads off the plugs it spins over fine

Comment

Check your grounds too.

Comment

Working...
              X