Thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Just a note to say thanks to all who have posted on R and R issues. My son has a 81 GS850 that was not charging correctly. It would idle at about 13 volts but would drop down to about 12.5 at anything over 2500 RPM. After perusing the various articles posted here I cleaned up a couple of connections, the fuse box, replaced some bullet connectors with spade connectors and soldered the stator wires directly to the R and R wires. The final result is 13 volts at idle and 14.3 volts at 5000 RPM. I still have to clean up the ignition switch but looks like we are well on the way to a good charging system. Thanks!!

Mike

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
    Just a note to say thanks to all who have posted on R and R issues. My son has a 81 GS850 that was not charging correctly. It would idle at about 13 volts but would drop down to about 12.5 at anything over 2500 RPM. After perusing the various articles posted here I cleaned up a couple of connections, the fuse box, replaced some bullet connectors with spade connectors and soldered the stator wires directly to the R and R wires. The final result is 13 volts at idle and 14.3 volts at 5000 RPM. I still have to clean up the ignition switch but looks like we are well on the way to a good charging system. Thanks!!

Mike
    Mike,
    You used the search feature?
    Congrads!!
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Mr chef 1366;

I did indeed use the search function. I don't understand a lot of the electrical theory but I can follow the simple clean this, replace that type of instruction. I've done the stator and R/R replacement in my son's 850 and now with the cleanup were well on our way to a good electrical system.

By the way I hate those stupid bullet connectors. I've fought with them in my bikes and would like to understand why they are used, other than cost of course.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for posting your results Mike. Many receive help on issues and never bother to offer feedback.
        Cheers
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
        X